The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to breed my French Alpine doe Dita at the end of this year. I have always heard that the magic weight that needs to be reached is 80 lb. Well, she will be 5 months in a week or so and already clocks in at 79 lbs. She has always been very large framed/boned and her mother is the biggest doe is a large herd.

So here is my question. She will obviously reach the required 80 lbs this year, but how old is the minimum age? I feel like five or six months is way too young, even if she has made weight. I was planning on trying to breed her in November when she will be 8 months. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think that lots of people breed at 7 months. One of the does I bought was just over a year old and had a 5 week old at her side. Your girl will probably be fine at 8 months.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
I go by the age and size of the Doe and the size of my buck, and his kids thrown..cans she handle his size with out her legs going out from under her?, and the size of his kids?

my preference at least 100# and 11-12 months old.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The buck is a month younger than her, so he will probably be a little lighter than her. Obviously I do not know the size of the kids he throws, but his dam and sire are not known to throw especially large kids. I would wait longer, but I am afraid rut will end before I get her bred if I wait past November.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Breeding her in November will be fine, she will be kidding at 13 months which is normal for a lot of larger dairy herds. As long as she is still coming in heat you can breed her, bucks will breed out of rut and most are still in rut in December.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is good to hear. This would be my first time breeding/delivering, so I want to do everything I can to help it go smoothly. I have three others that will be the same age, but one is smaller boned and petite and the other two come from very high milk production lines, so I am inclined to wait until next year to breed them. Give them a little more time to grow. With the way Dita has been growing she may well be 110 lbs or more by November.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yep, ptgoats nailed it for you! I breed at 7-8 months, and 80lbs. That leaves them to kid at 12-13 months.
Most the time they are big enough before that age though, since my kids are 60lbs at two months. :p little piggies they are.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, it's funny because she is one of the thinner goats. The main thing I would change is her body capacity/openness. She is just super large framed and grows like a weed.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Breeding her could help with the capacity. I have a yearling Saanen in milk, she was kind of a string bean before and now she is very deep bodied. I can't wait to get a couple more freshenings on her and see how she turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts