Question about breeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Nov 23, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok so I have a nigi buck, and a bunch of people that are lined up to use him.

They are all healthy and everything, just the only thing im concerned about, is most of them have horns and my buck doesnt, should I be concerned?

I guess they are all really friendly.....But im just worried about my baby boy!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Goats without horns know how to use their heads the same as the horned ones do. If you think these girls will cause injury, leash breed with the doe being held for him.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.... :thumbup:

Also ...if the Does are in season... they won't fight him at all..... :eek:hlala: :lovey: :wink: :wink: :thumb:

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok, thanks!

Im pretty sure they will be nice, not all goats with horns are mean. But I wanted to make sure everyone thought it was a good idea.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah...just watch them.... if one gets to rough...remove her and test...her on the opposite side of the fence....if you know her heat cycle....or you suspect.. she is coming in......at that point ...if she is in... then you can put her back in with your buck......and ...she should be real nice to him ...at that point... until she goes out.... :wink:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you have a doe in standing heat, just put them together for around an hour and the job should be done and there won't be any excess roughness. I've never had a problem breeding horned/dehorned goats together. Even a nasty doe will like attention from a buck when she's standing. ;)

7. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I have a doe that will lay her horns and head on the buck while he is talking to her, So dont take that as aggressive until she is pushing or trying to jab him. I agree KW Farms, A doe will stand regardless of her attitude.