Question about CDT

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jan 17, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    We recently added two new goats to our herd. Venus is about two and Peony is a year or so, and due to kid in another few weeks. Neither one has ever been vaccinated. I would like to give them CDT and am wondering about whether once I do, should I follow up with a booster at some point? I generally give this once a year to all of my herd, but these girls are older and of course one is bred. Thanks! Brooke

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes,,,,,,,,, give them a CDT shot and follow up with booster shot .... :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What Pam said....since you aren't sure of the vacs they had, I would do it as you would for the first time...dose now and again in 21 days...same for the preggy doe.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you need to give the booster. If you can time it so the booster is given 4 weeks or so before the kids are due that is even better

5. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    That's my worry...if I give it today, she may freshen in the next few weeks, so I can't give a booster 4 weeks before she's due. The people who sold her to me weren't sure of her due date. Could be soon, or another month or so. Should I give it anyway, or hold off until after the kids are born?

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you do it now, it won't hurt her or the kids, and by chance the second dose is given after the kids are born, mom will be protected but the kids won't. And if by chance she delivers AFTER the second dose it will be that much better for the kids.

7. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    All right then, I will go out and "shoot" her now :wink: and then again in four weeks. If she kids before her booster, when should I vaccinate the kids?? Thanks to all who have replied! Brooke

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep I agree with everyone.

Now mom should have a shot in her 2-4 weeks before the babies come. That would be the best case for them. Now if you are farther out then the 4 weeks or she kids in less then the two weeks that is still ok. It just means the babies did not get they does from her. (Oh that happened way to many times this year for me). So what I am doing is if mom got her shot in the 2-4 week time before the babies arrived then they I give the babies a shot at 2 week and then I follow up in 4 weeks. If they did NOT make the time from then I do a shot a t 2 week, then another 4 weeks then another4 weeks. If mom got hers in time then you only have to shoot the babies twice instead of three time. I am on my way out to shoot a lot of my goats because I missed so many.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: Gee....if just anyone read the last 2 posts here they'd think we "shot" goaties for fun!

Thank goodness us goat nuts know what's going on!