Question about CDT

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, May 27, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My little 13wk old (Bones) has not had any CDT's......he has been so sick since getting him home that vet said hold off until he is better. He is getting much better....still dealing with bit of cough, no fever and acting normal in every other way. Spoke to vet yesterday, he thinks his throat is still irritated from being sick and said he could have cough for another 2wks. :shrug: . My question is (forgot to ask vet)....when would it be ok to give him first CDT.....Hubby says he thinks we should wait another week and make sure he is really getting well. Any thoughts? Oh, and I have not been able to have him nuetered because of him being sick.....now it is getting hot and bugs are out! How long before he will start getting a scent? Thinking maybe it would be best to wait now until fall.....he would be about 8months.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Denise....waiting til fall to neuter would not be a good idea...he'll start getting that perfume at about 4-5 months when he starts doing those nasty bucky things. If he is banded now, there are ways of keeping the flies off til he heals.
    You can wait another week to give the CD/T then the 2nd dose 21 days later......then another in 6 months.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok......He is already toooo big to band! He has quite the package! My vet is going to neuter him like a dog, that is what he did with Jake and Elwood. I guess I'll wait until he is completely well and get him in. I know the vet said to wait like 2wks after CDT to neutur him.
    Thanks, Liz

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    2 weeks after the CD/T sounds good, gives the vaccine time to be in his system.....and I have seen 2 year old bucks banded...just took longer to fall off!