question about CDT?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Oct 2, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I gave 2 older boys their yearly booster this afternoon.......both did great, no drama.......but, Elwood keeps stomping his hoof and licking his armpit (injection site)........he is also avoiding me at all cost! I rubbed area before and after shot. Should I be concerned?
    He ate his treats and his dinner afterwards........was just out there and he is standing at the feeder eating his hay, but still stomps and licks at injection site every now and then.
    Thanks, Denise

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He sounds like... he will be OK...if he is eating and acting normal... except the little uncomfort ...he is experiencing......it is normal ...he just reacted to it stronger... than everyone else .... you may of just got it into a deeper tissue of skin layer.....he may..get a little abscess ....in which is normal....to....He should get over it.... :wink: :greengrin:

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it may still sting a bit
    beth

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would keep an eye on him. I've had goats react a couple times from diff injections.

I would mention it to the vet and see if he wont give you epi to have on hand in case he has more of a reaction next time.

5. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    if he will let you try to do some soft tissue massage around the site...think of it as a wheel with the sore spot in the middle. run your fingers/thumb away from the sore area with straight lines. I am trained in equine massage and this technique works really well for a sore spot or small abcess. be careful not to push directly on the sore spot...just around the area ....plus is will let me get use to you touching him is a soft and comforting way...see if that helps..it also gives you a good chance to feel for heat, which could show signs of infection...

let me know how that works for you.
    take care
    Jennifer :thumbup:

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Jennifer......it has been 2 days since shot and he is fine now......I did rub and massage it good after giving injection.

Ashley.......believe me, I have epi on hand and always have it drawn and ready if needed :thumb: ! I really didn't think he needed it though, but had it ready just in case!