Question about Chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by ENC, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    I recently got some hens, one rooster and some guineafowl. Today I went to open the side of the hen-house to collect the eggs and about four red wasps came after me. I managed to not get stung after much dancing and hat swinging. I was under the impression that the birds would gobble them up. If they won't eat them, is there a poison I can use that won't hurt the chickens or the eggs?

Evan

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    LD-44z is what i use for most bugs and insects, lso kills spiders, lice and mites... look it up and i think it can be used on wasps.

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spray gun loaded with soapy water, dish soap will do. It knocks them down and dead. The soap suds clog the breathing spiracles and suffocates them. Works great! And no need to worry about poisoning non-target species or yourself. We use one of those spray jars attached to a hose and spray the nest as well before removing it.

Deb Mc

4. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    We have the same problem in our area of OK They literally came out of the woodwork in the coop ans some of other out buildings. My wise is big time allergic and so is #1 son. No they do not go out with out their epi pens.

5. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Yeah I am allergic to bee stings and don't know about wasps. Usually a triple dose of benadryl is all I need. However I had a picture of when I was young and my ear was about as big as my head. Got stung in the ear by a honey bee at the Walt Disney World Light Parade. Hated that place ever since LOL.

I use the dish soap and water all the time for flyers and active nests. I was just looking for something so they don't surprise me. I need a Mongoose to watch my back.

Evan

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    They have something similar to fly traps at your local home improvement stores. It just has a bit of water in it, but it's marketed for wasps and bees. They are supposed to work really well. You could always hang one or two ? Good luck.