Question about CL

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    When I went to that goat farm last weekend, I noticed one nubian with a lump on her neck. It looked like it could be CL to me. I didn't notice any other goats with it, and I did not visit the adult goat pen (thank God). However, I did visit the kids pen when I caught and escaped kid and brought it back to the kid pen.

I didn't stay long there. But I am hoping I didn't bring any cooties home with me. Should I be concerned? I am a germaphobe, thanks to my grandma. I am terrified of any diseases that my goats can get. What should I do?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    honestly you cant look at an abcess and say it is CL

Any time you are dealing with an abcess of unknown causes you will want to wash really well. If you are handling the goat and get the gunk on you then clothes should be burned.

As to what to do now.....nothing. If there was anythign to pass onto your goats you would have done it already. CL transmission is through the gunk or infected ground to an open sore or someone tell me incorrectly but I think through the nasal cavity..... but Allison would know more.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Mkay. I was just curious about it, so I looked it up online. Then I got carried away :greengrin: as usual. I did not go near the goat that had the lump. And the lump was more like, in the middle of her neck, so maybe it wasn't anything to be worried about. It just looked weird, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought, well maybe I ought to look into this. When I read about how it can be transmitted, I strarted to freak out. So okay, well, I'll keep an eye on things. I have never had any abcesses on any of my goats. So Okay. *deep breath*

So wow, burn your clothes? Wow, that's like Velveteen Rabbit stuff...

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    And how many here have read or had read to them that book :greengrin:

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I know, is't that the most awful story in the world? Oh I cried so bad when I read that book!

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dreamchaser....I am so sorry......I feel bad for you....... :( ... :hug:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Why are you sorry Toth? Because I read a sad book? :shrug: I'm sure everything is fine. I just over-react sometimes. No wonder why CL is tested for by most breeders. Yeesh, it's like the plague!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nope.....it's because of your topic posted... about CL ... :hug: