Question about clippers... made an oops!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 23, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well, the clippers I just bought at the estate sale are dog trimmers. They are Osters, but I have no idea if this will work. The lady had a whole box of clippers, and I just pulled out the ones that looked the most heavy-duty. I tried them out, and picked out the ones that seemed to work the best. Well, after unraveling the cords... Ta-da! dog grooming clippers. Bleh.

Will these work, or am I bound to hunt for more clippers?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You might as well use them! We have a pair of old wahl dog clippers & Im no clipping queen but they do ok. Matter of fact I am practicing today.
    Sounds like a great deal though you scored!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great deal! I do use Wahl animal clippers on my cocker spaniel and use the same on my does udders....now just for the heck of it I'll likely shave Chief and Teddy too...did Hank my pygmy buck 2 years ago and won't do him again....he just looked awful bald! Ever see a naked pygmy?

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    *laughs* No, I can say I have never seen a naked Pygmy. Do you have pictures? He must have very pink skin.

Yeah, I have a feeling that all the clippers were dog clippers. I know for sure that some of them did not say that they were for dogs. And they were over by the horse tack. It just so happens the 2 that I bought were for dogs. But, at $2 a piece, I guess that isn't so bad.

5. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have a pair of Conair Homepet clippers that worked fine for clipping around the udder. I'm going to try them on Monday for the full body clip for my does, so I think yours will do just fine. :)

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I recently purchased Oyster A5s and I am totally in love. They are fantastic. They do a supperb job on my goats. I've used low ends a lot but have paid the price for it too. It was well worth the money to upgrade. Wahl are also great and I've heard some say Andis, but a lot of breeders I've talked to suggested Wahls or Oysters.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I love Osters! :greengrin: I got a pair for free that were for sheep and they work great, and I have several pairs that my dad picked up at garage sales and what not that are for pets.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I *might* still be able to get a nice pair of sheep sheers from an uncle. Don't know if that is the same thing.

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Sheep shears work great, that's what I use. :wink:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Sadly...yes *shudders*

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    put up a picture - if they are the Oster A5 then YUP that will work. You need the #10 blade for body and the #40 blade for the udder.

they can be pricy on their own so get the Andie's blades - MUCH cheeper and they work with the Osters. ;)