The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! It was 79 degrees here in Austin yesterday. Tonight it will be 34. We got our 6-week old Nigerian doelings on Monday and this is our first experience with cold weather. I currently have them in a plastic dog house outside. I put towels in the bottom for comfort.

Do I need to bring them inside for the next few nights? They don't have winter coats because it hasn't been cold here yet. If I can leave them outside, how can I prepare? I am planning to put a thick layer of hay in the bottom of the doghouse (we can't get straw here) and make sure the door is turned away from the prevailing wind. I'm wondering if I should also wrap a blanket or tarp around the outside of the doghouse. It's also going to be rainy on top of cold so I don't want them getting wet!

Any thoughts? I'm like a nervous Nellie new mama over here! Thanks.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We are ahead of your front - sort of - a bit north :).
At 6 weeks, they are still small and it really depends on what's also going to make you feel ok and not worry. And I imagine you are still giving a bottle a day.

I heard about the high winds too and a dog igloo/house of sorts could get blown around. They don't weight that much.

If it were me - I would get a dog crate and put it in the kitchen. Then give them time out a few times a day and run around the kitchen floor.

Just be on the look out for runny noses if they get a bit stressed out.

HTH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heeheee- my husband is gonna love it when he gets home and there are goats in the kitchen! I think I'm going to bring them in for the night. We have a workshop that is closed-in but not heated. I might put them in there in the doghouse. I wish I had more of a kennel.

Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts