Question about cold weather housing

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mliga, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    Hi everyone,

Hazel and Harriet are doing great! Harriet is in top breeding condition! I just need to find someone to service her. Hazel will hopefully be up to par when I want to breed in late Nov. She is at 66lbs now (when we got her on 7/31/10 she weighed 37).

Anyway, my question is I would like to have their door open in the daytime during the winter months. On FarmTek's website I saw this plastic stripping that hangs from a barn door. I would like to use it but I wanted to see if what you all think.

Ideas?

Michelle in WV

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My barn doors are open year round for the goats, the openings made smaller by tacking a piece of plywood over half the door way, this helps to keep the weather out. I close them at night though when the wind is whipping and the temps are below freezing.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I keep my door open in the winter.

but the plastic strips were something I was going to do but my dad made me a door instead (which is better for predator protection since we have coyote near by)

4. mliga

mliga New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    I have a door, I just thought that the strips would keep the cold out and allow them access to outside in the daytime. I wanted to see if anyone thought they might bulk at it or eat it!

Michelle in WV

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im sure they would figure out how to get in and out --- they are to thick for them to eat

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I do the same way Liz does.
    We have long strips of thick rubber matting for our barn floor & I am thinking of finding a small chunk to put over the door then cut like two strips so the goats can push through whenever they please. The rubber is over half an inch thick so there is no way they could chew it & ruin it.

7. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm trying to come up with something for one of my barn doors. The way the barn faces, the wind just rips through the one area that I just as a run-in for the pony and goats. I don't want to have to shut the pony up all the time because he hates being stalled, but if I leave the door open the wind, snow, rain, etc just pours in. I thought about putting up a small wall as a wind barrier, but the plastic strips sound good. Would they be heavy enough to withstand the wind? (it really whips right there) Thanks.