The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I have a nubian doe who I am trying to figure out why her milk is "off"...well I gave a copper bolus (4g pill) as a hopeful "remedy" to the flavor of the milk. So far her milk is still "off".. :(

My question is...since I gave it to her, she seems to be losing MORE hair :confused:
She is acting fine,eating and drinking well, but I hope it wasn't too much! The hair loss is mostly on her right side (belly) and above her tail area, hip area (?)on both sides

What should I watch for and how long before I know she is not getting toxic? It has been over a week....

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for that article...I'll be checking her eyelids tomorrow for "yellowish" color and see if her urine is changing at all.

It's so hard to know if they need it or not but some people here give it and some don't ??
But we also have hard water here so I can't imagine it was too much.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You're very welcome! I hope that isn't the problem, and your girl is ok. :)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought she had....but I am no expert! It seems like she would have by now....it's been so hot for quite a while.

Plus, when she was shedding heavily this spring, she had "fluffs" of hair coming out. Now you don't see it shedding like that. It's more like individual hairs falling out??

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if she has no worms, no mites, it's not the copper issue....then I would think maybe hormonal?

when I got my first dog (a Pomeranian mix....supposed to be very fluffy), lost ALL her hair the first few weeks of me having her. I was freaking out. talked to her foster mom and the vet, and they all concluded it was from hormones from just having a litter of pups. my pom looked like a terrier.....so patchy at one point I had to put clothes on her for fear of people thinking I was abusing her. top pic is a month after I first got her, 2nd is a few years after that.

I mean, some women lose hair after they're pregnant, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about toxicity..its hard to over do copper in a bolus form...The rods are absorbed slowly, slowly means you will see improvments slowly as well...could be she is just not there yet :)
...per tennesseemeatgoats
Inadequate copper levels can cause loss of hair color, coarse hair that has hooked end tips, abortions, stillbirths, anemia, frequent bone fractures, poor appetite, weight loss, and decreased milk production./QUOTE]

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Try adding a hanful of pine needles to her feed..it changes the PH in the milk and cleans up the flavor..Just dont use Pondarosa pine if she is bred..it cancause abortion..;)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldnt worry too much about toxicity..its hard to over do copper in a bolus form...The rods are absorbed slowly, slowly means you will see improvments slowly as well...could be she is just not there yet :)
...per tennesseemeatgoats
Even if I opened and let her lick it up in molasses?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
As long as it ends up in the rumen it will be a slow release..in this link she talks how she and her vet did a bit of testing..you will see how fed in a marshmallow it still effectivly ended up in the rumen : ) I think it shoul dbe the same in Molasses...its just getting it tot he rumen : )
http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

Perosnally I found it easier to do it the way I learned here on goat spot..I think Karen is the one who shared...1 cc per 60# using a syringe...I follow up with a water drench to to be sure it all goes down..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts