question about crud in ears?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Jun 13, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When playing with and petting Elwood today I noticed he had some white waxy stuff in his ears, is this just normal build-up? Jake doesn't have it......I have not noticed him really scratching at his ears, but he acted like it felt good for me to rub the insides of his ears and get it out......I noticed the farther down into his ear the thicker it was....he is my black goat with funky skin issues.....would you do ahead and treat for mites?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Do you happen to have a microscope handy?

When ever I have seen mites in animals - it has always been a thick black discharge. I would take some warm water - put a bit in his ears and rub at the base of the ear and then let him shake it out - at least that is what we did for dogs - not sure about goats - maybe someone else has more knowledge then I.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I have a doe with a folded ear. She gets wax build up in there so every month or so I get a couple baby wipes to clean it out with.
    If theres mites you can use VetRx or even a little cooking oil to smother the buggars.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have LaManchas and they used to get a yellow/brown gunk build up every once in a while since their ears don't "breathe"--being so tiny and all. I use the garlic ear oil recipe on the fias co farms website and apply it once a week or so...haven't had any issues with it since.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you have Vet RX, you can put a couple drops in each ear, rub it well down at the bottom of the ear and shake it (like Allison said). It helps for ear infection, ear mites and all kinds of thing. It is great stuff.