The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I wrote about my doe, Pixie, who delivered stillborn triplets (likely one died early and prevented the other two from being born). Anyway, she has been a wonderful milker, but I decided to dry her off so we could go out of town a week in May.

So first, I switched to just milking in the mornings and did that for about a month. Then 2 weeks ago I switched to milking every other day, then 1 week ago every 3rd day, and then stopped last week as she was producing little at that point.

I noticed lately that she has been looking pregnant. My buck “escaped” and got to my does, and any who would have been bred that day would be due April 11. I did not think he had gotten to her. Some of the other does had the telltale discharge and she did not.

Then today I noticed her udders are full. I milked her out just a bit to make her more comfortable. Her udders are not hard, no fever or lumps. Now I am in a quandary - I am afraid to milk her as I wonder if she could be uddering up for kidding but I am afraid to not milk her if she’s not pregnant and relieve the pressure and she gets mastitis.

Then I had the terrible thought what if the little bit I milked her tonight was colostrum? Will she replenish it?

What a conundrum.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
When you milked her, did you have a look and taste of the milk? Colostrum is thicker and doesn't taste the same as milk.
In terms of the possible pregnancy, only a blood test would tell you for sure.
I am not sure if there would already be colostrum in the udder a month before kidding?
@Damfino @happybleats @GoofyGoat ?

Reactions: Breezy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you milked her, did you have a look and taste of the milk? Colostrum is thicker and doesn't taste the same as milk.
In terms of the possible pregnancy, only a blood test would tell you for sure.
I am not sure if there would already be colostrum in the udder a month before kidding?
@Damfino @happybleats @GoofyGoat ?
Hi, thanks for responding. It did seem thicker, almost sticky which is what made me wonder. She didn't let down easily and the teat seems almost plugged... was that THE plug? I did not look closely, just milked about 10 squirts from each side when I put her in the stall tonight. It's about 3 weeks out from kidding and I have no idea when they start making colostrum.

I hope I didn't royally screw things up.

I did freeze her colostrum from her stillbirth delivery so that's good I suppose...

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I’d not milk her again. If she’s pregnant (which at this point I’d get a blood test) she’ll probably produce enough at kidding so her kids aren’t short changed, just make sure they latch on frequently the first 24 hours. As a precaution you can supplement from last years stock.
If she’s bred her hormones are going nuts. If not it could be a precocious udder so you almost need to find out.
Good luck! I hate when there Are escapages and you wind up perplexed...no fun!

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I agree with goofygoat. No worries. If she is bred there will be plenty of colostrum for babies. I would get a blood test for confirmation for peace of mind.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I'd add a pic here. This was this morning. Her udders don't look terrible and I'm starting to wonder if she is just swollen from drying off... I've heard that can happen for a few days. By the way, she is nowhere near how big she was when she was pg with triplets:
View media item 4315

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,696 Posts
I have a doe (Sparrow) she kidded Jan/13/21 and she had colostrum in her udder a month before kidding. I milked some out here and there and when she kidded she had even more colostrum then before so I don't think it would hurt anything to milk some out! Also a blood test would most likely be a good idea!!!

·
Administrator
85,596 Posts
It isn’t a good idea to milk her in late term pregnancy or even before, as you could introduce bacteria to her udder and cause mastitis.
She needs to build her colostrum for her babies late term and only has it for 24 hours after her kids are born.
Yes, do a blood test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.