Question about Enterotoxemia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaitlinD6, May 16, 2020.

1. CaitlinD6

CaitlinD6 New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I have a doe getting ready to kid, and I put her in the kidding pen, which has some tall grass in it. Stupid, I know. Well, it rained, and when I went to check on her, she had watery diarrhea with a little blood in it. I immediately thought enterotoxemia and gave her 10ml C&D antitoxin SQ, 5 grams powder probiotics dissolved in a water drench (thought I think she spit out most of it), and 6ml fortified B complex vitamins IM. Is there anything else I should do? I won't be able to get to my vet until in the morning. I'm going to be checking on her every hour. Her poop was normal earlier today, so I'm pretty certain it's not parasites or coccidiosis. Should I take her to the vet in the morning? What should I look for moving forward? Are there any treatments I need to do or repeat?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CaitlinD6

CaitlinD6 New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Update: she is chewing her cud and seems a little more comfortable. I’m still going to check on her frequently, and I’d still like some advice!

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can always give her more antitoxin. I'd give her more probiotics. Baking soda would be fine too.

CaitlinD6 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. CaitlinD6

CaitlinD6 New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Thank you! She’s doing much, much better today, but I’m going to repeat what I did last night definitely, just in case. Her poop isn’t liquid anymore, but it’s far from normal, and there’s no blood in it, now. She’s a lot brighter and more like herself than she was last night, that’s for sure!

ksalvagno and toth boer goats like this.