The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prepared a slide to examine using the Modified Wisconsin Flotation method. One problem I noticed is that a short time after I start examining the slide, the liquid starts to ooze out from under the coverslip. So then I have to redo the test because a lot of the eggs oozed out so I can't count them. I am using a sodium nitrate solution because the Sheather's sugar solution is backordered everywhere (I didn't want to make my own, and will get it when its back in stock.)

I attached a pic of what is happening. It oozes out and then crystalizes. Then when you check the slide most of the eggs are gone, when they were there before. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong that could cause this?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,733 Posts
I use a McMaster's Slide. You can purchase them clear or stamped with columns. I bought the one with columns, its much easier to count the worms. It is a double slide, so no oozeing. I believe you can purchase them on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it out! Sodium nitrate crystallizes quickly so you only have about 10-15 minutes to examine the slide before it starts crystallizing, thus oozing out and distorting the eggs. However, the sugar solution does not crystallize as quickly, from what I read slides are readable for hours when using sugar solution.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
1 - 3 of 3 Posts