Question About Feeding Kids

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FarmerInaDress, Mar 15, 2013.

1. FarmerInaDress

FarmerInaDress New Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I am getting my first goat kids soon. I have a question about the feed I have and what is appropriate. I bought some Kent Show Kid Developer 20R and I want to know whether or not I should also provide hay and loose minerals. The feeding directions say to use as the sole ration. It appears to contain all the minerals already as well as dehydrated alfalfa meal. Here is the link to the product:

http://www.kentshowfeeds.com/products/goat/show-kid-developer.php

My other question is about the ingredient Monensin for coccidiosis prevention. I did not realize when I purchased this feed that it was medicated. Is there anything I should know about this drug besides keeping it away from the horses?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    ok how old are they?
    are they pets or show?
    i need to know that to know if Thats the right feed

yes give them hay and and menerals (we do just baking soda)
    and you want a medicated feed sk thas good saves you alot of money and time.
    nothin really that you need to know.

how much do you plan of feeding?
    i feed 3lbs people say 5% of their body weight but then they get fat.

whay breed are they?

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Medicated pellet feeds usually say to feed as the sole ration because the goats have to eat a rather large amount of it to get the proper levels of medication. If there are other foods available, they may not eat enough for the medication to reach therapeutic levels. You can still offer hay but you will want to REALLY limit the amount of hay that you put out if you are using this feed as your only cocci prevention to make sure they eat enough of the medicated feed. Loose minerals should always be available.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We have always fed our Boers with a feed that has coccistat AND free choice alfalfa in addition to loose minerals with the highest copper content we can find.
    The Kent Show has next to nothing for copper but the 18% is right on!
    Alot of feed labels will say "Feed as sole ration". To that I say horsepucky.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    What breed are they? Are they just pets, for breeding, or for show? What gender? :)

6. FarmerInaDress

Mar 15, 2013
    They are alpine doe kids and will be around a month old when I get them. I will obviously still be bottle feeding them for some time. I do not plan to show. I plan to breed them as two year olds for dairy production. I have hay and minerals, I just wanted to make sure that was what I should do. I can treat them for cocci as long as it wouldn't hurt them on top of the medicated feed.

7. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    make shure to get eather milk from mom or whole cows milk
    they usually dont digest the milk replacers correctly

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They should have free choice minerals and hay along with their daily grain ration. :thumb:

9. FarmerInaDress

Mar 15, 2013
    They are getting whole goat milk from a nearby farm. I get it raw and pasteurize it.

10. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats a feed for show wethers -- I would take it back and get a feed thats not considered a "complete" feed. a simple goat pellet or sweet feed will do

12. FarmerInaDress

Mar 15, 2013
    Would it be "bad" to feed this to them or is it just that it is more costly than needed?

13. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    just more costly.
    it Wouldent be bad
    but you could save ALOT buying a different feed

14. FarmerInaDress

Mar 15, 2013
    Got it. Thanks for the help!

15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im not a fan of medicated feed only because they are not assured to get what they need...and can build a resistance..you might need to treat for Cocci separate. When they are older and in milk you do not want to feed them medicated feed. Always have hay or alfalfa...they need that long stem for proper rumen function....loose minerals and baking soda free choice... : )