The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased two 10 month old Nigerian dwarf does about 3 weeks ago. We got them primarily as pets but to also clear brush. They are currently living in an area on our property that is full of blackberry bushes. They love that stuff! We bought orchard grass for them when they first came home. I then bought some alfalfa when they showed very little interest in the orchard grass. They won’t eat that either. They seem to have zero interest in hay or alfalfa. Also, the breeder sent us home with some grain that she had been giving them twice a day. My question is, is it absolutely necessary that they eat hay? They both seem very happy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
As long as they are nibbling on some sort of hay or forage, they should be fine. If anything, fresh forage is the best for them to eat. They must have some spoiled palates to be turning their nose up at hay lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as they are nibbling on some sort of hay or forage, they should be fine. If anything, fresh forage is the best for them to eat. They must have some spoiled palates to be turning their nose up at hay lol.
Thank you for your reply. Yes they are a bit spoiled. They sure do love their grain!
They each get 1 cup a day, split between morning and evening. I just want to make sure they are getting the proper nutrients. They have done a fantastic job clearing out the blackberry so we will be extending their enclosure so they can work on the next area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts