question about giving injection?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Feb 8, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have to give my boys follow-up doses of the antibiotic (pen) that the vet put them on and it is thick.....this is something new to me, giving shots....a little nervous, anyhow.....what size of needle should I use? I bought 18, but hubby thinks that is too big....that is what the vet told me to get.
    Help please!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    18 gauge is fine. I use a 20 gauge usually.

Did your vet tell you to do it IM or SQ? When you stick the needle in pull back on the plunger to check for blood. If you do get blood then take the needle out and pick a new spot.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    He said do the follow-ups under the skin......I got my handy-dandy goat care book out and it tells how, but I am still so nervous.....the vet showed me yesterday and said it is not big deal.....but he is a vet and does it everyday!!!!!!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You will do fine. :thumb:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Under skin , if the bottle has sat around for a while ... it needs shaken up.. it does separate some...but remember it will make air bubbles when you do,,so try to shake it up a few hours prior,to use, giving it time to settle down .... after you put the pen in the syringe...get out as much air /bubbles out of the syringe as possible,.Make sure that your needle is tight onto the syringe or you will splash pen all over the place when the needle pops off, trying to inject it...
    pull out some loose skin, away from the goats body....your vet probably showed you where and how........insert it into the skin...be careful not to inject the needle all the way through to the other side... it will be injected onto the ground....I have wasted alot that way,,, :doh: :oops: ,,,as runAround said...pull back on the plunger to check for blood, if you hit a vein , you do not want to inject it there ,remove and reinsert in a new spot. good luck.... :wink:

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Personally, I feel 18 gauge is a little big for goats. I use them on the cattle though.

18 isnt too bad for sub-cut, and will be fine for you to use, but I suggest you go with a 20 for intramuscular injections in the future. I use 22 for newborn kids

7. sauncy

sauncy Guest

Feb 3, 2009
    Glad to here someone else hates giving injections. I still hate it and I have been doing it for a couple of years now. I haven't killed one yet :dance: Good Luck!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't like to give injections either but it is often times un avoidable!

18 gauge may seem too big but most antibiotics such as penicillian are too thick for a smaller gauge needle. It's actually better in the long run to go wit the bigger size...less time to push the med through it.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I am sure you will be fine. I remember when I started to do shots, I swear I shoot so bad. It is nothing. The more time you take to do it because you are scared the more nervous the goat will be and try to get away.

I use 18 gauge needles for medication. If they are smaller it is really hard to get the meds out and it takes longer.

So how did you do? :thumbup:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just let me say....NIGHTMARE!!!! :GAAH: and yes I admit my hubby and I are the biggest whooses......ok, so we get out there and for the life of me I could not get a hold of enough loose skin.....so my neighbor happened to come up and said he has done lots of sheep, pigs...etc.....so we said go for it! Well, the first goat did great.....but with the second goat I think he hit a vein.....Jake scream louder then ever and before I knew it my neighbor said there all done....but Jake was running around throwing his head back and screaming like I have never heard before and for a minute acted like he was having trouble walking.....so I of course ran for the phone and called my vet, by then Jake had calmed down and my hubby said he was fine.....but he had a little blood on his neck......sooooo, the vet said at this point he is probably fine, he might have a knot (which he does) and to put warm compresses on.......I told my vet I don't care how much it cost from now on I will pay him what ever to have him come out and give shots! After all was said and done, my other neighbor the sheep farmer shows up (which he does gives shots all the time) to see how the goats are.....I wish he had shown up 15 min sooner! So now I am about to go back out and check on the boys....they were eating and drinking and acting fine when I was out there 30min. ago.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I have had that happen before -- goats can be such wooses.

I prefer 22gage needles for even pen -- much smaller

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have some that do the same thing. I believe they do it to make you feel just like you did. They are fine and YOU CAN DO IT.
    Something you always want to do is when you put that needle in pull the plunger back to make sure you are not in a vein. If you are you will have blood in it, if you do just pull it out and stick it again. really it is not as hard as you think. the first time I was with someone when they were showing me how to so it, they gave Ivermectin and injected it. Talks about scared to death. This one goat threw himself on the ground and yelled so bad. I just new he killed him. The problem was it stings really bad, so from then on I told myself I would NEVER inject it again. Now I give that orally. So I did have a experience like you did for the first time so now you can look at it as well, the worst is over. Now from here on it will be a breeze.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all very much for your help and support! Both boys are acting fine, just a little gun shy of us......buy it does not take them long to recognize what a syringe is......today when we walked into their pen and they saw them in my hand they bolted like lighting!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    oh Cdtrum we've all been there...meds squirting out the other side, not pulling skin out enough to make a good tent and winding up with knots. Just try to relax if Im all nervous they goats tense up too.
    You'll get the hang of it!
    On thick meds such as Pen I use a 16 gauge to draw it out then pop on the 18 or 22. Its much easier to get it out without standing around for a long time waiting for it to fill.
    This is after the bottle has been shaken real good, then hold the syringe for a few minutes to take the cold off.

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Do you all keep Epinephrine on hand? Today when Jake started acting like he was having trouble walking, I also thought maybe he was going into shock. I asked my vet when he was out Saturday about having epinephrine on hand and he told me with just having the 2 boys that he thought my chances of ever experiencing that were slim....he also told me it is hard to get, that they are having a hard time getting it for the clinic. :shrug:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...we keep a bottle of Epinephrine around because you never know.... :shrug:
    We had to use it once...but it saved the animal, so it was well worth it to us..... :wink:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So where can I get it?.....my vet can't even get it....I looked on Jeffers and Hoeggers(sp?) site and couldn't find it.

18. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Its a prescription med so you have to get it through a vet or through vet serv usa. They have a vet on staff to write prescriptions. Its a bit pricey and they gouge you on shipping so its normally better to put a big order through. Its worth it though convenience wise. I got my order the next day, but they ship from Apex, NC so not to far to go. I ordered my epinephrine and muse from there.

Here is the link if you're interested: http://www.vetserv-usa.com/ You have to sign up for an account and be approved before you can even look at the merchandise.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you have other veterinarians in your area, maybe try to call around.. and see if one of them can order it for you....It seems odd that your vet can't get any....what will he do ...if he.... himself needs it.....kinda strange.... :shrug:

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I only had to pay $3 for shipping on my order.