question about Goat breeding time

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Apr 10, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    How do you know when it's time to breed a doe?

We have doe that just turned one year old. I expect her to be in heat this summer/fall.

Since this will be our first time breeding a goat, how do we go about it? There are a couple bucks in the area, so I assume that I touch base with them early on about availability.

Since bucks seems to be available for a fee, the bigger question is "WHEN IS THE DOE READY?"

How will we know when she is in heat and how much of a window is there to getting her pregnant?

Any advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A doe will go into heat every 17-21 days. She will stay in standing heat for 24 hours + or -

Standing heat is when she is willing to stand for the buck and is actually able to be bred.

Heat signs are (may show all or only some of these signs): tail flagging, extra vocal, clear discharge, vaginal swelling and not eating grain.

Some people will track their does heat cycle so they can be aware when she will cycle next so they can bring in the buck at that time. YOu can ask to keep the buck for up to a month to be sure she was bred or only for a week to cover the "5 day heat" = cycling 5-7 days after first cycle

Some buck owners will not allow their buck to leave their farm so you will need to board you doe or bring her to the buck when she is in heat. This you will have to find out. Boarding fees vary but are usually around 1.00 a day from what I have seen.

When you breed is determined by when you want kids. I will not have kids born before the end of April so I do not breed before December. The temperature is just way to cold and I do not have a set up to keep the kids warm or keep the doe inside till she kids.

Also not just any buck will do in every case. What is your goal with your goats? family milker, breeding stock, show stock, pets? This will determine the buck you seek. Always try to find a buck that improves your does kids - this will make them more marketable especially for the registered goats and the show goats. If you goal is just to get your doe in milk and the kids are secondary then any buck will do as long as he is healthy and not to large for your doe. Never breed a large breed buck to a mini doe.

3. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Most of my does will have goopy tails when in heat, and alot of tail flagging, Nica will call to the buck and literally drag me to his pen when she's in heat.

Some breeders will lease their buck, some wont. (I'm one of those.) My bucks wont leave my property. The breeding fees I've seen lately are 50-60$ breeding fee with $1 a day boarding for dry stock or $2 a day boarding for milkers.

And I agree with trying to find a buck that will improve the kids. Unless you are just wanting the doe in milk and will butcher the kids or sell the kids to someone who wants to butcher them. When I didn't think my nubian bred Hannah, I decided to breed her to the pygmy to get her in milk to show her. Figured if I couldnt' sell the kids, they'd be put in the freezer. Never thought Kinders were that popular but I was wrong, lol if she kids in May all her kinder kids are reserved. Lol.

4. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I am learning alot here, but I'm still not sure what to do. We have 3/4 Boer and hope to breed with a 7/8 to 100% Boer. We like the Boer look, so want to keep that going. Let me ask a few basic questions...

1) Our doe is 1 year old, has she been in heat yet?

2) Does a doe go into heat every 17-21 days all year, or just in the summer/fall. I kind of thought it was only once a year!

3) What does the part of the reply mean about "5 day heat cycle after the first cycle"????

4) Outside of the standing 24 hrs, a doe can also get pregnant for a 5 day window?

5) If I see swelling, tail wagging and such, does the doe have to go there that day, or what kind of window do I have?

6) I've never seen her turn away grain. She eats with a wether and they have neither ever skipped their grain. Do some goats eat regularly while in heat?

7) I would like to have kids next April. For a Boer, when should I try to breed (which month)?

Thanks in advance. I really want to get this right this summer/fall.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    1) Our doe is 1 year old, has she been in heat yet? Yes she has. They usually start going into heat around 4 months old

2) Does a doe go into heat every 17-21 days all year, or just in the summer/fall. I kind of thought it was only once a year! Dairy goats are more seasonal but boers will cycle all year long.

3) What does the part of the reply mean about "5 day heat cycle after the first cycle"???? After a doe goes into heat she may go out of heat and then 5 days later go into heat again. There is a thread on here about it - do a search for 5 day heat and it should come up

4) Outside of the standing 24 hrs, a doe can also get pregnant for a 5 day window? No not really. They only usually will stand for the buck in the 24 hour window. They may act and show heat signs the days previous and the days after but won't be interested no matter how much the buck tries to entice

5) If I see swelling, tail wagging and such, does the doe have to go there that day, or what kind of window do I have? My experience is that they will slowly come into heat and then have one day when they are calling loudly, have a discharge and being overly anoying in some fashion and that is the day they are interested. My one doe will even mount my wether when she is instanding heat. You best bet is to pen breed. Which means leaving the buck and doe together for a month, watch them closely though for a sign that she was bred - crusty tail, dirty sides (from him mounting her) him acting extra interested sniffing and even tasting her pee etc. Otherwise you will have a 30 day window for when she could kid! :hair:

6) I've never seen her turn away grain. She eats with a wether and they have neither ever skipped their grain. Do some goats eat regularly while in heat?as I mentioned before a doe may or may not show some or all of the signs of being in heat. Some of my does eat like there is no change while others wont touch it but show other signs of their heat cycle. You need to learn your doe so you can tell when she is not acting "herself" and then write it down. Watch to see if that same behavior happens again in 3 weeks

7) I would like to have kids next April. For a Boer, when should I try to breed (which month)?all goats have a 5 month gestation or technically 145-150 days So depending on when you want kids count back from that time 5 months. So if you want kids in April dont' breed before mid November. Last year I bred Aspen on November 23rd. She kidded on April 21st I believe it was. This year she was bred December 3rd adn due April 26th.