question about goat meat

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by billmac, Feb 20, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    This may sound like an odd question but here goes. I understand that goat meat is much like venison, in that there is very little intramuscular fat. I have butchered many deer myself. The fat collects internally and along the back and sides of the animal. Is this the way fat collects on the goat? Here's the real question. Deer fat is nasty. Extremely unpalatable. Is goat fat the same way? Or if you were having some of your chevon ground up or made into sausage, would you add some of the fat back in?

When making venison sausage, meat packers generally use beef or pork fat. Thanks.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    goat meat doesn't have as much fat in it....It is really good tasty meat... if you know how to feed them proper and cook it right ect.....I can't seem to get it right yet...mine is always gamey....but we had some from another fb boer breeder and man ..that was so good ...it tasted alot like beef...
    yes internally and along the back and sides is where fat collects...... as I mentioned above ....if you do it right ...all is good..... :greengrin:

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok first off I LOVE GOAT MEAT! it's delicious.. but i wouldn't say it's like venison.. i call it lamb and beef collided in a horrible train accident and made delicious goat

haha

but the fat on my goats, when fed right, collects along the outsides of the muscle.. its like a little steack packaged in fat bubblewrap! haha

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

that was funny SDK........ :greengrin:

how do you feed them to prepare them for butcher?
    Do you pen them up ?
    how long do you feed them up and what age do you start and finish?

Sorry for the 20 questions.... :shocked:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha i always get funny looks when i say that

but i keep them in a pen and we walk daily. cause our pens are not the biggest out there ( 14 x 16)

i elevate feeders and feed showfeed at 3 % body weight and teff or grass hay.

i start them on feed at 3 months and go to 6-9 months depending on the weight and fat covering..

but they usually finish out really well..

oh and i am soo excited.. if this lady buys some of my nigerians( like 2 ) melissa is going to loan me a red doe to breed market goats.. so cool!

6. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    SDK: But the fat can be eaten? Venison is delicious but the fat is disgusting.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    absolutely yes.. and its not foul at all

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you SDK...I appreciate the info.....

congrats that sounds really good.... :wink: