question about goat ration for wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jan 15, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have had my two boys for about 6 months and was so ignorant when we first got them.....they are doing great however and I have learned so much from this website......I just want to take the best care of them....since bringing them home I have been feeding them approx. 1/2 a cup of ration (each boy) a day, plus their hay and BOSS......I just bought what the man at the feed store gave me, I didn't know :? ! I am needing to buy a new bag and want to make sure what I have been feeding is good or should I try something else.......I have been feeding Kent 16% Goat 20R medicated w/ ammonium chloride.....they get so little, so didn't know if it really matters......they are just pets, I do not show. They also have loose minerals and baking soda out at all times.......I also add ammonia chloride into their minerals. Had fecal done at vets yesterday and happy to say they tested clean! Oh, one last thing......I saw after Christmas where some of you give your goats your Christmas trees......so I took ours out to them and they have enjoyed it soooooo much.....wish I had another! I cut it into sections and put one inside their barn pen, it has helped with keeping them entertained with the awful weather we have been having....they have not been able to get outside much this week. I also went and bought them a small jolly ball and hung it in their pen.....they love butting it!
    Ok.....sorry for the rambling......take care all and stay warm! Denise

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    HI, pet wethers are the sweetest!! I have 2 pet wethers that will be 5 yrs old in April and I love them dearly. The biggest concern with wethers is urinary calculi or UC so the feed you are using with the ammonium chloride is great for them because it is designed to lessen the risk of UC. I would stick with the feed you are using. Also be cautious of feeding alfalfa, wethers do better on a grass hay.

The pet wethers were my first goats and I got them at 4 days old and bottle raised them. But just a little warning, goats are addicting and I now have 17 does, 2 bucks and 8 kids in addition to my "pet" boys.

Stay warm. :eek:)

Denise

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I'm in the same boat - I've had my 4 wethers for about 6 months - only my feed doesn't have ammonium chloride. I'm trying to find some, I might have to order from Hoeggers....

Does anyone know how much ammonium chloride to add? Say if I were to top dress for each goat (they get 1/2 cup grain a day with BOSS and beet pulp, usually)??? Thanks!

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its sounds like youre doing a good job. I would give them a anymore grain. Whethers just dont need a whole lot to keep condition. And if their weight looks good and fecals are coming back clean youre doing things right. My goats love the christmas trees as well. We actually put an add in the paper every year to come out a little before and a little after christmas. We go around picking up peoples christmas trees for the price of gas, as long as there is no chemical treatments and i make sure there is no tinsel or hooks on them. the goats love them. We have even had people call us after wind storms (frequesnt here this time of year) to come and clean up their yard of downed everygreen branches. Im only happy to help. And they usually pay me to do it. its great.
    beth

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    ArcticGoats......I have noticed that when I try and top dress their grain that everything falls to the bottom of the pan and they don't eat any........the ammonia chloride that I ordered from Hoeggers said to mix it with the minerals, it tells how much to mix in with the minerals on the bag, so that is what I did........I have noticed with winter that they do not go to their mineral dish often......so I have started putting some of the minerals/ammonia chloride mix in the palm of my hand and they will eat it out of my hand....silly boys, I think they think it is a treat! I have also read that you can mix the ammonia chloride in their water.....but that doesn't work for me.....my brats want hot water, so I am taking hot water out to them 3x's a day.....once the water cools they will not drink it......my DH says they have me trained well.....I just love them :love: !
    take care, Denise

6. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    yes, they have you trained right! :greengrin:

I guess I'll order some and see how it goes.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i was always told to never feed my wethers( ones i kept anyway.. not my markets) grain

so cruiser, my pretty boy has only ever had a handful here or there and he's almost 5 and never any trouble at all

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I guess you just have to do what you feel is best for your own goats......I have always given my boys a little grain because that is what their breeder did and then at their first vet visit after bringing them home at 4 months, my vet said to keep giving it to them and he specializes in goats....small amounts of grain, mainly in the winter here.....I'll probably cut back in the warmer months.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    oh.. der.. you live where its cold..

i live where its hot alot..

like today its 88

but if its colder i can see and understand a little grain for heat.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    my boys have an ammonium chloride lick block

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    For our little Pygmy wether, I gave him 1/2 cup each day. I didn't have ammonium chloride though. He was a "late-bloomer" and I didn't have to wether him until nearly three months old, so he had lots of time for the urinary tract to develop some more.

I've also read to put apple cider vinegar in their water. They love it and we do it anyway, just because they love it so much. Maybe you could try that too? It can't hurt them for sure.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In the 7 years I've had a buck I never had an issue with UC....And as a precaution that I never will with 3 boys now, I got the Ammonium Chloride from Hoeggars and mix it with their minerals...and as cdtrum said, they don't seem to go after the minerals in the winter as ofter so I hand feed them...silly boys DO think they are getting a treat! My boys have always gotten wat my girls have as I don't have the extra $ or space to provide "boys only" feed or hay. O and I am guilty of taking them hot water ofen in this awful cold too! yep...they do know how to "train" us!

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Liz....it is thanks to you that I put the ammonia chloride in their minerals.....You advised me to do that when I first came onto this forum......and my vet totally agreed......oh, and I also believe it was you that told me about the warm water.....so actually I could hold you responsible for DH and I having to take the boys hot water out several times a day...... :greengrin: just kidding........they do love their hot water! The hotter the better right now......I had to laugh yesterday, I guess I didn't get it hot enough so by the time I made it out to the barn it had cooled some, well.....we could not have that! Jake put his mouth down to it and looked up at me with such disgust and walked away.......so, being the good goat momma that I am......I made the trek back through the snow and 2 degree weather, wind chill of -23 to the house and refilled the bucket with very hot water......what a happy boy he was when I returned to the barn with the hot, hot water! I do believe he likes his water hotter than I like my coffee :coffee2: ! I wish someone would come up with a heated bucket that actually heats the water! Liz......whether you realize it or not, you have given me some very good advice since becoming a goat momma back in September.....I thank you and everyone else whom have helped me!
    Stay warm all, Denise

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: You are very welcome!

It's going to below 0 here tonite and only a high of 8tomorrow.....so you know your boys will be nice and snug, just as all here will be, they do love that hot water! lol

I know it's probably not very good for them due to the added sugar but on occassion, I bring extra strawberry juice(from frozen strawberries) home from work....and what I don't make use of myself I will add it to the "hot water" buckets and make them a fruity tea.....I can't make it too hot though because they all fight over who gets it first! I know they are all getting a good slurp or 2 and it also ensures that they are getting enough fluids....I only do this occassionally as a treat so I can't be doing too much harm.

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have tried adding kool-aide, gatorade and ACV to their water and they do not like it....they always smell their water first, if they smell anything in it they turn their noses up and walk away! Crazy, crazy boys.....gota luv em!

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, you gotta luv' em and they know it too! My eldest doe will not drink from a red bucket :shrug: ....it's gotta be either blue or white??? The others don't care as long as the dog hasn't slobbered in it! If any one of my 3 pooches drinks from any of the goats water buckets they won't touch it! I have to dump and refill! Whoever said that goats will eat/drink anything certainly has never loved a goat!