question about hay?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 28, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Approx. how much hay ( mixed grass, 2nd cut) should 4 goats go through a week ( goats are 65lb, 55lb, 2@35lbs)......all wethers, only the 2 young ones get little grain...1/2 cup, older 2 get a handful of BOSS......they are on fenced in grassy lots, so not a lot of browse except what I take them....older 2 will graze a bit...younger 2 don't graze much at all that I have noticed........2 pygmy mixes, younger 2 dwarf nigerian.
    Trying to figure out how much more to buy for the year and If I'm feeding to much.
    Thanks.......Denise

2. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Its hard to judge sometimes. Mine seem to go through cycles where they want more hay than at other times. I would guess that 4 would go through 1 bale a week. Maybe 1.5 in the winter.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Tarheel.....just checked out your website, cut, cute pics! My guys are going through about a bail every 5 days right now, which I probably let them waste to much.

4. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Cutting down on the waste will help a lot. Mine use to drag a lot of extra out of their feeders. I put some scrap field fence in it as an extra liner and it helped a whole lot. If they stay at that ratio then I would change my guess to 1.5 a week and a little less than 2 in the winter.

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My 6 goats (1 pygmy wether, 3 MiniNubian does and 2 Pygmy/Nigerian does) go through a 80lbs bale about every week to week and a half. It just depends on how I feed. Sometimes I force them to eat more grass out in the pasture, so I will only feed hay once a day.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The general rule of thumb is that each goat will eat 3-5 lbs of hay a day during the winter. Having minis...yours might be more toward the 2-3lb range. I usually go with the higher figure when I buy my winter hay supply because I'd rather have extra than not enough...and obviously the needs of individual goats may vary. The quality and type of hay also comes into play...but the 3-5 lb guideline is very helpful and relatively accurate.