question about hay?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I need some advice about my hay......so, this summer I bought very good second cut grass mix hay from a different farmer due to my guy was out and didn't get in a 3rd cut, but it doesn't have all the weed crap (excuse my language) in it that my boys love......I have used up the weedy mix hay that they love and I'm down to this grassy mix and the boys are none to thrilled!

So, do I play tough momma and make them eat it.....hubby says they won't starve themselves.....or do I try doing some trading with someone whom has hay I know they will eat.......this hay is really good quality....I would like for them to learn to eat it, but don't want them starving.

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Well, we have learned that goats are picky eaters. We went from a really nice clover mix hay back to a plain grass hay and our bucks HATED it. They didn't want anything to do with it. We just let it sit there and after a few days, wallah! They ate it, and were eating for a while until we switched to another hay. So, from my own experiences, they will eat it, if they have to.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your boys will complain but they will eat it, same thing here, I have alfalfa, alfalfa mixed with grass and a clover hay, of course they INHALE the alfalfa but since I'm wanting to stretch it I give them the alfalfa mixed grass, they'll stand and bawl because they don't want those green sweet smelling blades of hay, they leave it in the feeders, now they all go for the rough, stemmy clover, I can't figure that one out!

So, what I've been known to do because mine are just as well loved as yours :wink: is to take the grassy hay and put it in front of the clover hay in the wall racks, they know the clover is there but thay have to eat through the front layer to get to it. :greengrin:
    If you have quite a bit of the grassy hay, maybe get a few bales of the rough stuff and mix it....sorta like a scavenger hunt, they'll have to go through what they don't want to get the good stuff.

They won't starve, they'll act like they are but believe me, they are eating :hug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... Unless it has mold in it.... they won't touch it.... :thumb:

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So.....I have watched them all day just stand and look at the hay, they take a nibble here and there but not munching down like usual and I just don't do tough love very well.......I called my neighbor that is my usual hay guy and he is willing to trade me some of his (which is what they love!) for this nice grass mix hay.....he said his sheep will eat it no problem. These boys have to be the most picky goats on earth, hubby says I have made them that way for going to the ends of the earth to make them happy......I call it just loving them.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    This happened to us with our current hay. It's really good hay IMO for mixed grass, and they weren't touching it much at first. We buy the big rolls, and have a bunch of loose hay from a couple in the back stall that we use right now.
    An 8'x6' stall was COMPLETELY filled back in early November. Now it's condensed to less than 4'x6' and I could even make it smaller.

My point being? They are eating it like crazy! :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good they will switch it out.... :wink: :greengrin: