question about health care classes?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Feb 11, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....I am 40+yr newbie goat mom....am I to old for 4H :question: ????? No, really are there classes you can take to teach how to give injections, heath care, herd management, how to handle emergencies, etc.......I had not really given it much thought until my boys got sick this past weekend and I didn't know what to do......I had to have my neighbor give injections and he was not the best at it, but he got it done....I could not find enough loose skin on their neck to grab.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well it depends on where you are. I would contact the 4H extension office and see if they have any clinics going on. Contact other counties if you are close.

We have a HUGE clinic that will be going on in county that will require us to stay the night, but it is open to anyone and they have TONS of workshop that are all about herd management, health and just what ever you can thing. It is NOT just for 4Hers it is for anyone, so I am sure that you would be able to find something.

Get books also. Sometimes that is all you can get close to.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    One of the goat rescues around here gives something like a workshop for new goat owners. I'm also looking to buy good informative books and of coarse reading all of the posts I can on here!

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Believe me I have bought the books....and I always come here for advice and info....but I would really like something hands on.....I would also like to learn how to trim hooves properly.....I always worry that I'm not doing them right.....I have looked at every pic I can find of trimming hooves.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would ask your vet or a local goat breeder. There is a vet around here that had an awesome "workshop" but it was mainly for assisting kiddings. They had "simulation does" (I guess you could call them) where you reach in and adjust the kid to help it come out. Really neat.

Anywho, I would ask a vet or a local breeder. I get calls all the time with people asking to come to the farm or my house and see how things work, had two people come last week.

Maybe try an ad on CraigsList asking for help from a breeder? Just throwing some things out here. . . . hopefully they help. :)

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the ideas....I will ask my vet...I even thought about asking to volunteer at his office and maybe going on farm runs with him.