The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have 1 and a half year old, never freshened doe. I had her bred to the previous owners buck on 9/20, then she came back into heat on october 24th, then again november 3rd..... what is going on with this girl? Between ocotber 24th and nov third, do you think this could just be a 5 day heat so to speak or is that a completely different heat?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
was it the whole "shabang" with her heats?

between the 24th and the 3rd that is 11 days. So either on the 24th you were seeing the end of her heat or she was a little wacky with her next heat.

Obviously she wasn't bred so you need to count 17 days from the 3rd and that would be the 20th. On that day you want to be watching for signs of heat. She may not go till day 21 but it doesn't hurt to be on the look out just in case she starts going into heat early

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok say I should count the second breeding as her due date then. Oh these goats are gonna kill me lol. Hopefully she takes this time!!!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
She may not be bred or she may be just pulling a fast one on you. We had a doe that kept coming into heat on her scheduled days. through october november december and evern a heat cycle as late as january. She was flagging and blubbering like crazy at the other does. She gets very bucky when she is in heat. She had her kids at the end of February which means she was bred that whole time.
beth

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well she has never been bred before so I am not too sure what she is doing. She is a shy goat an is even shy to the bucks, after they chase her for a while she finally gives up and lets them do their dirty deed! So I guess I will just have to watch her then.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
WOW, That would cause me to :hair: pull my hear out. is it NOT possible to leave her with the buck for a month?
I had a doe that was with the buck for almost a month, I had to take her because we had a show. Well I went to check on her, and I noticed finally that she was flagging, but I could tel she was not QUITE in heat. Lucky I was able to leave her for 6 more days. I new she would for sure be in heat, and bred. When I got her home and we were home from the show I noticed she started to flag again. SO I took her to another buck. The lady said that the buck had NO interest in her at all, and her either. She was there from the 9th of September until last Sunday (November 4th). Well when I got her back, oh she took the first time. She is huge. She was bred to the same buck last year, and she had twins, so I am really hoping for twins again.
Those sneaky little goats. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the thing with her tho is she is breedin to the buck every time, so I am going to have like 4 due dates on thsi girl , and yes it is going to make me pull out my hair lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many does will "short cycle" even when bred. Which means they will come into heat again 5-7 days after their last standing heat. Sometimes they even drop an egg and it is fertilized and they are already bred. I have this happen with one line of does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I brought my buck over from the other farm last Sunday because I could tell 2 of my does were in heat. He bred them within 5 minutes of putting him in the pasture. So all week they had icky buck butts and then this last Sunday they were both flagging again and he was chasing them. Now I am confused about their "real" due date. Both of them kidded the exact day that I had marked down for them last year.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts