question about horns?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 5, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My almost 8 month old pygmy boys have yet to start growing horns.....is this normal.....they do not even have nubs. I asked the man we bought them from at that time if they had been dehorned..he said no. I did just have them neutered a month ago...would that matter?
    Thanks, Denise

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they could be polled :) which means..... they are born without horns ... it was bred into them to be... hornless
    Do not breed polled to polled...You get problems

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Maybe they are polled, meaning they have no horns and will never get them. :shrug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Toth - I had no idea that you could not breed polled to polled - what happens???

5. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    kelebek I have a topic called Polled? in Goat Frenzy. Someone explains it there.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hermaphrodites

Mating polled to polled is the worst-case strategy, and still provides 3/4 normal kids. Mating polled goats to horned goats completely eliminates the production of the hermaphrodites, and so is a safe way to use and enjoy polled goats. That is, with appropriate management there is basically no risk to breeding polled goats. Some breeders like them, some do not, and this variation is really trivial rather than a serious defect. Most importantly breeding management makes these goats perfectly useful with no risk.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your boys are polled...especially if the breeder did not dis bud them....at 8 months old, they should have 4-5 inch spikes.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, hermaphrodites. And they look weird! I saw some once before I really got into goats. I couldn't figure out if they were boys or girls. I thought goats were really weird animals.

But now I know that it should not be hard to tell what sex they are. :ROFL: