The Goat Spot Forum banner

Question about injecting antibiotics for Joint-ill in baby goat

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I have a 3 week old goat that I’m pretty sure has joint ill in her right front knee joint. I have LA-200 for treatment and I read online that you have to increase the normal dose because of the difficulty penetrating the joint.
Does anyone have experience with an appropriate dose of this antibiotic? It has been over a week and I want to make sure we do the strongest treatment to help her recover. LA-200 is the only one I have access to right now.
Does it make a difference if you do the injections IM or SQ? What is the best site you recommend for each? If IM I normally try the back thigh and SQ near the ribs or shoulders, but if there is a better site I would love to use it.
I haven’t seen it but would there ever be a situation where you would inject the antibiotic locally into the knee joint? I’m just looking for any other aggressive treatment.
Thank you for your help!

#4 ·
I agree baytril is the best drug for this. La 200 can work but not as quickly. Dose is 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q. Any where you can lift the skin is fine. Best places are where the beck meets the body in that little dip and arm pit area. Over the ribs is fine..la 200 stings.
Treatment needs to be a full 10 days. Give probiotics 3 to 4 hours after the shot.

Best wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.