Question about kid formula

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    How long is this stuff good for? I have a bucket of it I had stashed away for a while, and wanted to know if it is still good. I'll go take a look to see if there is an expiration date on it, but otherwise? I will need it to feed my new "baby."

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is a good question...I would love to know as well. :wink: :greengrin:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Is it a powder? If so as long as you keep it dry, cool, and out of direct light it should be fine for like 4-5 years as long as there is not "active" ingredant in it.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    It's a powder, by purina I think...

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Check the lable look for ingredeants(i will change the spelling of that till it looks right :greengrin: ) if it dosent say it has an active one then like I said it should bo ok for a few years. If it was sealed and you never opened it then there's even less to be worried about IMO

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, it is opened, but I only used a little of it, enough for one bottle a couple of years ago for a bummer baby. She didn't make it, so I never used the rest of it. I'll try it out I guess, I'll also get a gallon of milk from the store to hold me over for the night I bring him home in case. I'll smell it, if it smells "sour" I probabaly won't use it.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    sounds ok to me :thumb:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I smelled it, and it smells sweet, just like the day I opened it. So I'm pretty sure it's okay. Thanks everyone!

9. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I wouldn't use it!! I work at a farm supply store and we throw out all milk replacers 6 mos after the date on the bag.

That being said I recently had problems with replacer that I found out was just on the brink of being old. I lost 2 kids after just 4 feedings of the replacer. Right now we are still waiting to hear from the Manufacturer and Penn State Animal Diagnostic Lab. (Penn State is doing the Autopsy and the Manufacturer of the replacer is offering to pay for it) I would make sure that the replacer was fresh or use cows milk.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Generally speaking feed stuff for animals is not good after 6 months to a year. Even if there is no "active" ingredients, vitamins and mineral break down and the animal will not get from the food what they should. And as Tog Lovers, there can be more serious problems with using an old milk replacer.

11. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    If I have an open bag of replacer and no longer need it, I put the bag in the freezer and that will keep it fresh longer. I usually can keep it until the following kidding season then. But they're right, shelf life is usually 6-9 months for livestock feed and I imagine replacer is the same if not even shorter shelf life (once opened). Wouldn't use your bag if it was me.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow thanks for the info.....I really didn't know that and it is a very important thing to know....thank you so much.....you definitely saved little lives....letting us know... :wink: :hug:

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Hmm, good to hear. I was goin just on a basic chemistry thought of if its not active it usually keeps. So its good to hear from you on it thx.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hmm ... I've used left over replacer from one year ... on the next year's kids, with no ill effects? :shrug:

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    This boy is a month old already, and has been on mom for that time.

16. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We usually try to use up all the leftover formula that we have laying around on the bottle babies that we've had in the past though.