The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. I have been lurking on this forum for months, but this is my first time posting. I have a 8 boer does who were expose to a billy. I am 100% sure that today is day 155. I counted back to the day he left our place. I have three that are definitely pregnant. Not a single sign of labor other than some swelling of the vulva. Ligaments in place. No mucous. The other 5 I am not sure about. They are first fresheners. I thought they were and now they really don't look like they are. I have tried to palpate externally for kids and movement and really am not good at it. I think I see fetal movement, but could be imagining it too. I expect to see babies anytime and am presented with :laugh:. Darn goats
My question to the group is this? How long can they hold out on me before I get alarmed. Especially the three I know are pregnant. I realize first fresheners are good at hiding pregnancy as we had one of those last year. Did not look pregnant. Could not feel fetal movement. Knew she had been with a billy when we bought. Went out one morning to feed and we had a baby. She did not bag up at all until after she kidded

None of the goats look stressed. All are eating. I have lute but am very hesitant to give it. Have dexamethasone but really don't want to give that either. Would much rather have nature takes its course. I have not internally checked anyone as of yet. They are showing no signs of distress. Ligaments still intact, slight bagging but nothing impressive. They are killing me. My husband and I have been taking turns at night going out to check on them a couple times for fear of someone having trouble during the night.

Would really appreciate the thoughts of the group on this. :confused:

Nicki

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Do NOT give lute. I'm horrible at predicting due dates. Last year I was convinced that Cinn was going to be the 1st to kid....she was last out of 8 goats. LMAO Just be patient. They will kid in their own time. Get worried when you see a nasty colored and smelling goop coming out of them....that's what my vet tells me. And that was after I had taken my precious little Moon in 3 times cause I was worried about her not kidding after showing all the signs (turned out to be a false pg anyway discovered after an emergency c-section....good thing my vet has reasonable prices!) Just keep an eye on them. The best predictor I've seen is the "streaming"....the clear or reddish mucous coming out. And that isn't even certain!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Welcome to Goats SPot...

I would wait..if they are not showing any signs of distress..let nature run with it a bit longer...keep an eye out..Babies will drop under mom a week or so before pending dilivery, some bags fill up 30 minutes before, other right after...I had one Saanen, not a FF, bag up a week after!! scared us, she is our highest producing doe lol..but once her milk came in..YIKS we were miking her three times a day at first plus she fed triplets!!
One thing I learned about goats is they do not follow the rule book..a due date is an estimate, not a promise.. :D
best wishes and happy kidding

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Oh, and I've done the up every 2 hours at night to check on them too. Have yet to catch one kidding in the last 4 years....EVER! I was told to feed them at night and they wouldn't kid at night. Seems to be working. We had 2 first freshners last year. Went out and one was hovering over a baby. No bag, no sign that she had given birth. Gave her baby to a different one that DID show signs of recent kidding. Went out a few hours later....there was ANOTHER baby in the pen that seemed a little upset. Took that baby and the other "mother" in to be with the other 2 and everyone sorted out their babies and were happy.

·
14,615 Posts
Sorry Nicki you are just going to have to wait them out.:GAAH:
Eating drinking not stressed are key.
No reason to check internally unless they stop labor & I agree with no lute.
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you ran back here to announce they all started at once.:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. The only thing I know for sure is the billy left our house 155 days ago. He was here for only 28 days. Never saw him breed a single girl, but he left his calling card. He was either shy or preferred the cover of darkness. His owner has said the same thing. No one has ever seen him mount anything, but he seems to get the job done. With my luck they will all go around the same time. They are all eating and acting fine. Once in awhile I see someone out stretching and that is about all they are giving me. I swear they are doing this on purpose :rolleyes: I just worry. I had to help one out last year that had a huge kid. Had another who got into trouble. Her cervix closed back around the kid with only one leg sticking out. Had to manually dilate her to get the kid out who died. She survived it, but now I really worry about these first timers birthing without me being around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out tonight to feed. Looking at their rear ends for any sign of anything. I know when I walk away they laugh amongst themselves. Ughh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts