Question about La manchas...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heathersboers, Sep 9, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Does anyone know how big they get and how much milk they produce per day. We are thinking about buying one to help our bottle baby now-or babies to come. Thanks

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It depends upon the age and how many times the doe has freshened, average production is about 9-10 lbs a day. And then every once in a while you get a few cows, my buck's granddam peaked at 19.2 lbs! :shocked: Not all of them milk that much though :wink:

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    she is about 5 years old and coming from a dairy-la mancha /spanish X-We were told she weighs about 200lbs. How many kids would her milk provide for?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well because she is mixed with spanish I am not sure. You would have to ask the seller how much she is milking per day. When we had our first bottle baby, all of our milking does were pregnant at the time and we had to buy two milking does for one bottle baby. The does were giving a gallon a day a piece and we had a little bit left over for ourselves.

Because she is five, five is about the age where they reach their peak for production, after that you can see her production go down every year with each lactation.

Ask how much she is milking first before you make a decision :)

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    He said she is milking a gallon a day-we arent going to drink any-Is this enough for 1 bottle baby?

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Count out how many cups you will need to feed your bottle baby per day(sorry my brain is blank tonight) and there are 16 cups in a gallon of milk. It should come out to just about right, and if it doesn't, you can add a little cows milk to the baby's bottle to make it up.

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks!!!! She is only dronking about 32 oz per day and she is 3 weeks- sheis eating also though.