Question about Libby's belly

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dover Farms, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay, I shaved Libby's foreudder and shaved up to her belly button. When her foreudder stops...it's flabby until it reaches her belly button. It's not a hernia. What would it be? Just loose skin from shrinking down after having her babies? When she got a little fat last year...that is where some of her fat rolls where...she's not fat now, though. Could it be something to do with her milk veins?

I just would like to know. :) I don't want there to be anything wrong with her.

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    It could be edema if she has just kidded. After she starts to move around more and get more exercise it should go away.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Oh! I didn't think about that! Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it...

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree, it could be edema. Can I ask, how is the extension on her fore udder? Pretty far? I have a doe(she's my unregistered doe) that has really good fore udder extension, she is a little on the heavy side and I noticed that it can be pretty flabby at times.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I am not sure...that flabby skin goes from her udder to her belly button. I mean...I can feel where her udder stops, but it's hard to say how long it is since she hasn't come into much milk. I milked her yesterday morning and I got 14 oz....she was holding some milk. Last night- 1lb. and this morning- 1lb. 1oz. Her udder doesn't completely milk down yet...I think it is because she just freshened and her mammary glands are probably swollen a bit.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmmmmm..... I don't know then :?

I've been having the same problem with milk coming in on my girls this year, and I haven't had trouble before. Their milk really starts to come in after a couple days, but in the beginning they had little. I'm thinking that for my girls it was that I forgot to take the salt out 2 months before. I've read salt causes water retension and congested udders at kidding.

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I think it is just edema. It has gone down a lot this morning. Libby milk 1lb. 3oz. last night and 1lb. 5oz. this morning! "Slow and steady wins the race!" Mom said! :ROFL:

Now see my other thread about Squirt....