question about lice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Can you treat pregnant goats with Seven dust or is there a better reccomendation?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Either Sevin dust or DE will work and wont hurt her ....I use DE when I dust mine cause I ordered alot of it when I couldnt find any Sevin dust. Both work and wont hurt them. Good lcuk and when she freshens I would worm her with a good wormer and it will take care of the other lice that might hatch later on, plus any worms she might have hiding too.

3. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you may want to check out the thread from about a week and a half ago that I did titled "I found external parasites - help!

I have a doe that is nursing, and goats that are prego and she said that I can use anything that says that it is ok for Dairy cattle. I used Permectrin II on mine ......

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the help. I will just get some sevin dust. I think they have it at Walmart. I thought I had seen a thread about it, but when I posted the question I tried to find it and couldn't. I will look again.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do your goats have lice? If so, then make sure you also sprinkle the dust in the bedding where they stay. I promise that will mean those little brats are everywhere.

7. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have noticed mostly on just one goat, that she has hair loss (not bad just a very small patch) on the back of her neck, and there were a couple of really small dried spots of blood. I tried to look for the bugs, but couldn't see any. I had read somewhere that this might be what it was. I am not for sure though. I do plan to take a fecal test on her tomorrow to the vet.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    One thing that works GREAT for lice is lavender essential oil. Just take a little bit and put it in water and put it over their topline. I had a sick buckling that I had to have in the house last spring, one day I was petting him and I noticed that he had a bunch of lice, I put the lavender EO on him and in 5 minutes those little stinkers were leaving him!

9. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Thanks for your help!

10. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    If you are going to use sevin dust, be sure you only use the 5% on them.