Question About Mastitis - Not Emergency

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by capriola-nd, Oct 15, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I was thinking. . . . how many of you are super careful with dipping your does' teats after milking to prevent mastitis? We have not done it before (the milking stanchion is clean, I wipe the udder, etc.) This coming year I will be making my own udder wipes and teat dip, because I plan on milking 3-4 does and just want to be extra careful.

Okay, here's my main question: How do does not get mastitis when their kids nurse off of them? I mean, the kid is removing the plug that protects the udder from infection. Or do does still have the chance to get mastitis when their kids nurse off them??
    Oh, btw, our barns are kept scrupulously clean, if there is manure/urine on the floor (we usually let it pile up a little bit in the winter) then hay/straw is put over so the goats don't lay on it. Anyways, kind of a silly question but I was wondering. . . .

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that kid's saliva has enzymes that naturally fight off the bacteria that cause mastitis...

I think dipping teats is a good practice but not always neccessary if she's nursing kids...if you're only milking her, you should probably dip her teats.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you might be right.....................

It could be....... the miracle of nature.......LOL.......... :shrug:

I do agree and know it is a good practice to dip their teats............Better to be safe then sorry.......... :)

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That does make sense if that's the case, with the saliva. I plan on dam-raising kids but at 3 weeks separating at night and milking in the morning. . . . that's basically the plan, might change though but I doubt it. Bottle-babies are not my favorite. :) I will definitely use the teat dip when kids move to their new homes, when they are nursing I'm not going to worry about it.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Knock on wood, butI've never had a case of mastitis with my girls, and I haven't always dipped teats either....I did pull kids at night at 4 weeks old, milked mom in the morning and did not dip her teats as the kids were on her as soon as they were left out of the stall..no problems doing it this way at all.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    While we haven't had mastitis to worry about my friends doe was nursing kids and got mastitis.

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I have not dealt with mastitis here before.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i only dip if the doe doesn't have the kids on her,
    i've only had mastitis once, and i really hope i never have it again, but once the kids are gone i dip the teats religiously