question about milk production/freshening

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have not freshened my doe this year, because I am new to this. I wanted time to buy all the equipment I eed while getting to know my goats before I introduced kidding, and having to learn to milk, etc.

Anyhow, my question is, since I did not freshen this year, will this affect next years milk production at all? I'm not really worried about it, since it is only me and my husband, we don't need a lot of milk. But I just would like to know for future reference.

Thanks!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Somewhat. If you aren't goin for stars and production records then you are fine.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I am new to the dairy game, but I dont think skipping a year of lactation would have a huge effect on her lactation next time you freshen her. Unless she gets too fat in her 'year off'.

Some more experienced dairy-ers could tell you better though

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    having a year off doesnt change her production....just means you have to watch her weight just in case she is an easy keeper. But no I wouldnt worry about loss of production.

if she had freshioned and you dried her up right away then yes she could loose production LENGTH next year as she would want to dry up quicker - but not necessarily production amount.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    How old is your doe? Is she an older doe that has milked before or a kid/yearling? If it is an older doe that has milked before, skipping a lactation and not milking does make a difference. Just be sure you feed her grass hay and little to no grain so she doesn't store fat. I have a few does that were given a year off from milking and after they came back on they didn't milk as well. Milking through is less stress on the doe and a lot healthier for her in the long run :)

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ