QUESTION ABOUT MILKING A NURSING MOM??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Hi. I have bottle fed in the past but have decided to dam raise my new kids. So my question is........ How do I know if baby is getting enough and how much do I milk from the doe?? Baby is 2 weeks old and an Alpine. There is only one baby and she prefers one side so I have been milking out the other side once a day and get around one quart. But I don't drain it. I just try to relieve most of the fullness. Should I drain it and just leave the other side, because although she prefers the one side, I have seen her nursing both.

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    If it were me,I would milk out both sides completly.The more you take,the more she makes. Also if you milk out both it should even out if you seen her nursing both.Maybe someone else can chime in.I have only had experience with twins so not for sure.Good luck!

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks JessaLynn. I am not sure either...... My main concern is if I leave too much she could get mastitis. But on the same note, if I take it all, baby will have to wait for more to come in. When is the best time to milk, morning, night??????

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm milking two does right now that are nursing kids. One doe has a week old kid on her and the other has a 2 week old kid on her. I just milk them out once a day on both sides as much as I can. You can never really milk every last bit of milk, because they are continuously producing and doe's that have kids on them usually will hold back some of their milk for the kids. The kids tend to choose one side over the other, but the longer I milk out both sides the more equal it's getting. The babies are starting to nurse off the other side too cause it's not so tight. We milk in the afternoon since we are only milking once a day. Starting today we are going to be milking twice a day to up the doe's production so we can sell the milk. As long as your feeding your doe to compensate for the extra demand and she has the ability to produce a lot then she will.

Good luck and happy milking! :thumbup:

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Amy. I will start milking her right out then on both sides.