Question about milking - newbie goat owner

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by MikahMom, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MikahMom

MikahMom Guest

Jan 1, 2010
    I have two NGD does that have just recently kidded (within the past two weeks) and am looking forward to drinking my own goat milk, making cheese etc... Here is my question:

I have read that once the kids reach two weeks of age, you should take them away from the doe overnight and then milk her in the morning. I tried that last night with our doe who kidded two weeks ago and she was so stressed from her kids "disappearing" that I couldn't get a single drop out of her!! Is this truly the best method or should I be doing something else? :whatgoat:

MikahMom
    Cairdes Farms

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    You could use teat tape and then the kids could stay with her but wouldnt be able to nurse overnight..if you choose to do that though make sure to have udder balm because it could dry out and iritate her teats.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how far did you have the kids from her?

see what i do is wait 4 weeks by then mom is happy to be away from the kids for the night. Even if you arent milking her take her up on the milking stand and just massage her udder and only feed her her grain when she is on the milking stand. This way she will feel comfortable with you and with the milking stand.

Keep at the milkign even when she wont let her milk down -- bump the udder with your hands and keep massaging it. talk soothing to her and you can even have her kids like in a cage behind her so she gets the allusion that they are the ones nursing. Once you get more adept at milking you and she will be much happier.

Its all about patience and not getting frustrated. She is being a good mom.

ANother option is to put her on the milking stand and hold a kid to nurse a for a couple seconds (believe me they suck fast!) and then go to milking. She will be relaxed and more comfortable knowing her kids are fed.

4. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    I can agree with all of the above. It is hard to reinforce her not being a good mom. Just be patient and keep trying. It will be worth the reward. I would also stress getting her comfortable to being on the milking stand. For your own backs sake if nothing else.

Evan

5. MikahMom

MikahMom Guest

Jan 1, 2010
    Thank you all for being so helpful! :hi5: I did have her up on the milking stand, but with the kids not around she wasn't even that interested in her grain lol Ethel is a first time mother, and I SWEAR that when I looked she had tears streaming down her face :sigh: The kids were in the horse barn in one of the stalls, about 100 feet away from the goat pen. They were just fine this morning when I went to take them back to Mama, until they saw here and then it was a wiggle-fest :slapfloor: I'm not sure how our other doe, Lucy, will be once it is her turn as she only had the one doeling this time and she is such a "stage mother" :p I suppose I will just practice with them going up on the milking stand to eat their grain and wait until the kids are four weeks old before attempting this routine again. I have never seen anything so gol'darn cute and adorable in my life until these little niblets were born!! :laugh:

MikahMom
    Cairdes Farms

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try putting her up on the stand with teh kids around -- the milking stand needs to be a positive thing and not a negative.