Question about milking?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crazyt, Feb 24, 2011.

1. crazyt

crazyt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I have a commercial boer doe that has a very large udder and teets, very dairy looking. In fact, her single buckling had trouble latching on. So, I started to express some milk to make her teets smaller for him to latch on for a good day. Took the milk, cooled it down and tried it. Now I am Hooked! I have been milking about 1 1/2 cups a day (do not want to deplete her for her baby)

SO? I started to look into this. I want to make some butter. I have 2 large Tupperware covered plastic cups full of milk. ???How do I make butter?

I have looked at a couple of web sites, but look a bit confusing-and expensive. I have people at work excited to try my "homegrown" butter.

Just looking for a low tech for fun butter making.

Thanks--going out to milk for the night!

2. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    if you are new to milking you want to make sure when you squeeze your thumb and first finger that you are totally squeezing it shut inside the teat. if you dont then the milk squirts out the teat and rushes back into the udder and can do some damage and you will get pink milk (blood in the milk) if you are for a long period of time. i had that problem when i first had to start milking. just a heads-up.
    i ish i could help you more but i dont really have any boer experience.
    my dad used to make butter. i'll see if he can give you some tips.
    good luck!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You would need to milk her and let the milk sit in the frifridge over night, skim the cream and put into a container...you'll need to do this to get at least a cup of cream to be able to make butter...you won't get much butter if you use nothing but milk as it is the cream that makes butter. What I did was then put the accumalated cream in a quart jar with a tight lid and shook it til the butter formed, pour off liquid and rinse with cold water...shake again and rinse again...drain and salt to taste.
    Goat milk butter is pure white and very very good!

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I collect the cream and freeze it until I have enough, then warm it up to almost room temperature and just shake it in a jar.

5. crazyt

crazyt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Thank you for the tips. My father raised dairy steers and occasionally would get a twin heifer that have an opps. (Dad sometimes missed a bull calf when castrating). That was my extent of milking--we would always sell the heifer back to the dairy farm where we got her from. So, goats, no less breeding goats, is a bit different for us.

It is fun and the human children have a lot of fun taking care of the Caprine Kids. Its a great 4H project area for them.