The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

I haven't been on for a while...breeding season...full swing...I'm certainly going to be very busy in January...anywho...

So I have this boar buck Bubba...got him when he was a week old, bottle raised him...total sweetheart...my little guy...

Well he aint so little anymore...at nearly a year and a half old...LOL...

Now we decided not to remove their horns, as we live in an area with tons of coyotes (have gotten close enough that our rabbit does have freaked and killed litters)...and for other reasons...and we do have a guard donkey too...but he came after the goats...

No problem, as long as we enforce our responsibilities as goat owners with goats with horns, learn to read behavior, and so forth...

Rut sure changes thing tho...

Anyway...problem is...it seems I am the only one whom he respects...My oldest daughter (14) thought she was totally capable of it...no matter how many times I warned, and talked, screamed and yelled at her even...she still believed until recently that she could control him...because he - and here is the key words - "he let her"...so obviously...she has learned her lesson...and got herself injured...and she really could have avoided it if she...say threw the feed bucket or threw some hay upon entering the pen...either would have distracted him...it was what he wanted anyway...some people unfortunately have to learn the hard way...my daughter is one of them...

Now, he does get testy...he's in rut...so I tell everyone, sometimes he is Bubba and sometimes he is a buck goat...

So for my kids...lessons have been learned...Listen to MOM...

Now for the question...He has ZERO respect for my husband...My hubby is the alpha male type...big guy...big burly guy...when he is by Bubba but not in the pen, Bubba is nice...Hubby goes in the pen...Bubba is constantly looking for a way to ram him...

Early spring I was working and hubby was home...they had no problems...

So the only difference I can see...is that it is breeding season...and maybe he sees my hubby as competition or something???

Because everything I do to control the buck works for me...but has the opposite reaction with the hubby...he will rear up at him, run around and wait until my hubby isn't looking and will try to ram him...get right up on him so he can't even shove him away with his foot...

The only thing I can figure is that it has got to be a male thing....

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

Christine

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Has your husband ever moved a girl out of his pen??? Maybe you have done something while growing up that showed him your the boss but your husband has not. Or maybe just simply you spend more time with the goats. My husband helps out as much as he can but they still laugh at him when its time to do anything with the goats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering about that!!!

Over the summer he busted out and got into another field that isn't ours. I was alone, and went to get him...his collar...broke it when I grabbed it. No one was around and I had to get him out of there...

So I led him by his ears...he got it pretty quick that if he just walked with me...no problem...when he fought he screamed...and then went back to complying...

Didn't want to do it that way, but I was stuck...wasn't going to leave him to get a rope...I would never have caught him...He never left against either...as a matter of fact he stopped hoping the fences for the most part since then...LOL...

OK...will let the hubby know next time he has to take over for me...

Thanks!!!!

Christine

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The ear thing has worked for my nine year old to start asserting dominance over our milking doe. She started making Bucky sounds at her, and pushing her with her head/chewing on her clothes/doing the buck tongue flapping thing, and I had my daughter start going with me EVERY time I fed or milked. The doe started to associate her with food/milking, and now she can lead her to and from our garage (where the milk stand is) without my help. I've also noticed the confidence that my daughter displays, not bending over when Bree pulls at the lead (happening much less often, btw), but leaning back against it to best use her weight. I think a couple good slaps to the nose along with grabbing her ear is what worked for my daughter (we made up a bottle of vinegar water just in case that didn't work, but she hasn't had to use it). For at least the last ten days or so, she has been out there in the morning and at night to help with feeding. A few times she has been the one to say she'll go get Bree and bring her up (and done it by herself, with no behavioral issues and only trouble from the doelings who try to rush the gate).

Obviously, I realize there are extra hormones at work when dealing with a rutting buck, but maybe he'll learn some respect with discipline. Is he learning bad behaviors, such as "if I act like this I'll get my food sooner"?

·
14,615 Posts
We have had bucks who respected me but looked at Bob as a challenge as he is not the one dealing with him everyday.
We had one guy that would lead by his beard.
Our current buck if working with him I grab a handful with skin & tell him to behave.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!!!!

I let him know since he is doing them for me again since I have the flu...

Thanks so much!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts