Question about my Nubian -spots?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 17, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Hiya! I have a question about coloring.

My Nubian doe's sire was spotted. I was wondering, can the spots show up later? When I first got her, she was pretty much plain brown. But over the last few months, she has lightened, and in some areas, white hairs are starting to show up. Not like just a few, but like in big round circles, and patches. I'll have to post a picture to show you what I mean.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, a picture would help. But color can change to some extent.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay bad pic of BEFORE: (she was shy then, and wouldn't let me near her)

[​IMG]

AFTER: (now she chases me around, and I can't get a good side pic!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they look more vibrant in person...

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Probably moonspots, but in the standard breeds I rarely hear them call them moonspots. They just acknowlege the spots as different colors etc.

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    One question, does she have an adequate amount of copper in her diet? I ask this, because I saw an article about this on Saanendoah and it shows a goat that has a severe deficiency. There's a picture of a toggenburg buck that was born the normal medium brown, and he was entirely white by 6 months of age. Here's the link, the picture is about halfway down on the page. http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.htm

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I give them a mineral salt block, and sweet feed along with their alfalfa pellets.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Goats need to have a loose mineral, not just a block. One reason is they can not get all the mineral they need from a block, because the salt will burn the tongue before they can get what they need, and two if they try to bite off a piece so they can get more, they can break a tooth.

I would try to get them a loose mineral with Cooper and see if that will help.

I do want to tell you that she looks really good since you have had her. She is so sweet looking.

Also, I am not saying it is a Cooper def. I have a doe that is totally white, and out of no where she has black on her face, and someone that bought her son sent me a picture of him and he was white when I sold him and now he is all white but a black head. I know there is not a copper def, so another words, yes she could change colors and start to show some spots.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Lori, how do I keep it from blowing away? I live where there is a prevailing wind.

Also, I am uncertain that there is a deficancy in this regions soil. Though it says that most of Arizona has it, this region has the biggest elk with some of the biggest racks of horns in the country. There have been several record elk taken down here. Not that that is nessasarily related, but elk and deer are similar to goats.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well, I took a look at the feed I have. The sweet feed says no added copper. The alphalfa doesn't say anything. But might there be any in it since it came from out of state?

I looked at the feed store. The gal showed me all the different feeds. But since I keep my goats with sheep, I can't feed the goat feed to them. The sheep feed does have copper in it, but not as much as the goat feed. Will that be enough though for the goats? It would be terribly hard to feed them all seperate since I don't really have a way to keep them apart in the pasture.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I don't think those are spots. They are in the same exact place on both sides. Some goats lighten as the age. She looks to me like she is roaning or greying out.

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    What about a copper bolus?

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dreamchaser...
    here is a pvc pipe mineral feeder....scroll down to the pic...
    http://www.sweetlix.com/media/documents ... at_025.pdf

Goats must have copper and a higher dose than sheep......the sheep minerals won't have enough copper for the goats................copper deficiencies are not pretty.....
    I don't know about sheep.....if they climb like goats or not....may I suggest putting pvc mineral feeder up somewhere ....where the goats can get it and the sheep cannot.......good luck...

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Pam I use those feeders. They are easy to make, I have made so many of them. I have them all over the barn, in about every corner. They have the SweetLix, baking soda and Sea Kelp in them. You can use the 3" or the 4". I have both, but of course the 3" is cheaper.

Or put it in a bowl or feeder that and have it inside. I live where it is ALWAYS blowing so I do agree with you, it is to hard to have outside.

The other option is Sweet Lix does make a soft block for goats. They are great, they have all the goodies in them but they are soft, so they can be bitten off. I do get those for the summer outside.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :D

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    *head spins* Wow! So much to learn. *faints*

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dreamchaser........believe it or not ....even people that have had goats for years....are still learning....... :wink: :hug: Me included....LOL :D

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Got some new feed. Adding it to their ration of alfalfa pellets. I know it is still not enough, but it is a start.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    start is good..... :hug:

Maybe buy the loose salt and minerals for your goats and hand feed them in a plastic bowel daily and see if they eat/lick it............they may lick alot ....or some or none .....depending on what there bodies need.....that's another option..... :shrug:

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, that might be good. I have sheep, so I just have to be careful not to OD them on the minerals. It won't be so bad when I milk the goats next year, because I can give them their lactating goat feed seperate when I'm milking them. And I will be keeping the buck (someday when I get him) separate, so I don't have to worry about the sheep in his ration.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup: