Question about my saanen/alpine doe bred to ND

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Feb 3, 2011.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So-I have a young saanen/alpine doe who is 9 months. She was 'accidentally' bred when she was around 6 months. She should be due late March. Anyway-we know she has a baby as we have felt it move. She isn't a large goat-probably because she was small when born (had a BIG twin brother). I know how big Saanens should be-she looks JUST like one. You'd never know just by looking at her that she has Alpine in her. ANYWAY-I just confirmed feeling the baby(s) today. She is not showing much but I figure she is just bigger than my ND does so she may not show as much. Will she be safe to kid having bred to a minature breed? Does anyone have experience with this? Not really anything I can do aabout it at this point, but thought I'd ask if anyone has ever bred a small buck to a bigger breed-not full grown. Please let me know...
    THANKS

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Lots of people are doing this. All the mini dairy breeds are crosses between a full size (usually) doe and a Nigerian dwarf buck. Kinder goats are a cross between a nubian doe (usually, I have a kinder doe whose grandmother was a pygmy doe) and a pygmy buck. It works fine, although sometimes it is hard to get the breeding done.

Jan

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    She was still small enough for the buck to not have a problem. I didn't intend for her to be bred-but the buck tagged her before I could say anything. Then I was like-OH WELL-the deed had been done. We had a pen breeding with all the does, and when that happened IMMEDIATELY upon putting the buck in there I just left her. So. I hope kidding will be okay for her. If so-we will have milk WAY before we planned! Yay? I guess? Just hope the kid is small enough for her to birth safely.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Not only will the kids likely be small enough, they will probably be totally irresistible, and they will make incredible rich milk if you have does and breed them.

Jan

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Hmmm . . . think she's more worried that the saanen/alpine doe was quite young for a standard-sized breed when she became pregnant.

I don't know the answer, but I agree with you that at least she was bred by a nigerian dwarf buck, so hopefully the kids will be smaller and easier on her at kidding time.

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Yes-that is what worriesi me that she was TOO small when bred and when she kids she might not be ready. She is bigger than my ND does-so hopefully all will be well. I am excited to think if she throws a doe-we may keep her and breed for milking as well. We will SEE! Thanks.. Thanks for clarifying kids-n-peeps-sometimes my words get jumbled when I type fast... :GAAH:

7. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Well, I always jumble my words and confuse people - this is why you and I understand each other :ROFL: You're not nearly as confusing as me :thumbup:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think there will be a problem. Be sure though that she is getting adequate nutrition for herself as well as baby, especially once she delivers.

I had an accidental breeding with my pygmy/nigi doe Angel...she was 4 months old when bred and I worried the entire time too...granted, Angel was almost the size of my nigi Binkey when she was 6 months old but her age still worried me. She delivered a healthy single doe just a few days before she hit a full 9 months old. And, it didn't stunt her growth either...Angel is a very solid well built 3 1/2 year old now. So, your "baby" mommy being a standard breed bred with a dwarf buck should do very well with delivery and I'm sure will be an awesome mom. Don't aggressively up her feed amount at this point, as long as she's healthy and happy to you, not losing condition and has access to good hay, she'll be fine til she delivers, once she delivers, you'll want to gradually increase her feed amounts to prevent any loss of condition while she's producing, being a larger dairy breed, her milk amounts will be more than a nigi.