Question about my shy doe and her babies she hasn't had yet-

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by logansmommy7, Apr 12, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wondering-I have a doe who will be kidding around May 5. This is my first time with a doe kidding. I really want the babies to be tame, but dam raised for the first eight weeks. How do I go about getting them tame when mama isn't so tame. She is a nice girl, but shy. She will come for treats any time, or grain, but otherwise you have to chase and catch her. Please share your ideas for how to make the babies nice and tame!

Thanks! (Can you tell I am counting the days? I can't wait for my first goat kids!)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Question about my shy doe and her babies she hasn't had

do you have a stall and smaller pen to put her in? if so that will make your life 10times easier.

best thing is to spend LOTS of time with the kids in the first 24 hours. dont run up to them or let any human kids run at them. DO NOT grab them and DO NOT pick them up from a standing position (you that is). Only pet and then if you are sitting down gently lift them into your lap.

If you do grab them from a standing position they will become afraid. 1)because you are tall and the sudden change in height is frightening to them 2) because they dont like to be confined when young and if you hold them up high they feel like they cant get away easily if they need to. 3) being taken from mom and that security is scary.

By just petting them and letting them run off on their own they knwo they can get away if they need too but they quickly realize you arent going to hurt them and being held and cuddled is nice. Kneel down to their level and encourage them to play with you. I put them on my lap and then just pet them. I dotn make them stay - if they walk off thats ok, I just pet them as they leave and then will gently nudge them back to me in a bit to encourage interaction. keep doing this until they come to you.

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Cool! I have a stall that I intend (hopefully she won't drop the kids outside before I know it) for her to kid in. Her buddy (our other doe) will hopefully be outside so she can be with them solely for 4-5 days. If it all works out I will hopefully have some tame kids! Thanks Stacey!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if she kids outside of the stall just put her in it later. all mine have kidded in the main barn or pen and then I move them once the kids are born.