Question about Nubian ears!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm curious... if a Nubian kid is born with longer ears than their nose will their always be longer than their nose?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would say yes

quick out of thetopic Q.. don't nubians ears have to be longer than their muzzle to be able to show?u

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I don't know but :love: those Nubie ears!!

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Aw! Thanks Toth! :hug: I've actually got a kid picture of Orion and a current one so you can see. But yes normally that is the case.

As a kid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As an almost yearling. :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome crissa....It is true ...your nubies are really nice I do love them....and with those pics.... you proved it again............. :wink: :love: :D

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes nubians need to have longer ears than their muzzles.

crissa, orion is a hunk! lol

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Aw, thanks! Cinder did that help at all?

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Beautiful babies. Judges will check ear length in shows and the ears do need to be muzzle length or longer. They're prettier too with longer ears in my opinion.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I do believe the standard calls for ears to be at least one inch longer then the muzzle when held at the side of the face.
    beth

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Cinder, how about a new picture of your beautiful babies. we want to see their ears now. :clap:

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Generally that is the case. Some bucks ears do shorten as they age...don't ask me why, though. And yes, they do like the ears to come past the muzzle by at least 1 inch. However, they can still be shown if the ears are short, they just need to be pendulous. Ears and nose are a lot of times used for tie-breakers when two does are really close. I agree....Nubians with long ears look so much more elegant and regal then the ones with short ears.

14. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I understood about the ears being longer... I'm not sure if my actual question was answered... although I think a couple people mentioned it. IF a Nubian's ears are longer than their nose AT BIRTH... will they always be longer than their nose or could they end up with ears shorter than their nose as an adult?

Lori - my new babies are Alpines - so their ears are standing up and really cute too!