The Goat Spot Forum banner

Question about postpartum bleeding

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I did a lot of Googling before deciding to post but didn't find anything that seems to answer my question. Since everybody here is so awesome and helpful, I thought I would reach out again.

I had two does kid within less than 24 hours last week which was my first kidding experience. The second one wasn't due until April but apparently there was a mishap at the Breeders, though that's pretty irrelevant right now. My question is about bleeding. I know a doe can bleed for a week or two after kidding just like humans but she seems to be bleeding a lot today. There are eight or nine grips about the size of a quarter and one the size of a 50-cent piece in the area in which she likes to stand with her babies. She's also being quite vocal today. I'm trying to get her temp but it's a two-person job and I'm home alone right now. She was very sweet but shy in her early pregnancy when I got her then turned a bit psycho like her dam who I'm told was the same eay. Sweet then almost feral. I will definitely get her temp soon but is that much bleeding normal 9 days postpartum? Unfortunately we live in a place where there is no vet available from Friday night until Monday morning. The rest of the week they have a 24 hour on call doctor.

Thank you in advance for any insight and Enlightenment. I'm a bit hypersensitive right now because my first doe, who was my favorite goat in the world ended up dying yesterdqy because when I called the vet to tell him I thought a fourth baby was stuck he laughed at me and told me that was impossible. As it turns out I had to manually remove the fourth baby 2 days later and didn't know there was a fifth until she passed away yesterday morning.

See less See more
#2 ·
Goodness i am sorry about the lost doe! What you are describing seems pretty normal to me. Some days they may bleed a bit more some less. Did you see her drop the placenta? Did you bump her to make sure no more kids were in there? Also every time a kid nurses it still is stimulating tinny contractions right now. That is what makes that uterus get back into its nonpregnant size and shape. Maybe the kids are nursing more today cause they are growin. :). As long as there is no fever and she is doin all the normal goat things i bet she is just fine. Just keep a watch on it and if it gets to be a lot more then worry. But i do not think it is time to fret quite yet on it. It could also be that she was just in that spot for a long long time too.

Also. I would be findin another vet!

#3 ·
Thank you so so much! It's just been such an overwhelming week that I know I'm in hyper paranoid mode. Yes, she passed the placenta very quickly and I made sure it was all intact. I bumped her as well just to make sure and she was good to go. I'm going to be able to get a tampon her in a few with my neighbors help. Right now I am feeding 3 bottle babies and then we're going to get out there to do the temperature.

I completely agree on needing a new vet! He has caused so much unnecessary devastation.

Thank you again. I really appreciate you so very much!!

#8 ·
You guys are the best and I love and appreciate you! Thank you so much! No smell, eating like a fiend and I just finally figured out that her bleating and crying only happen when she's outside with her kids. She's a nervous new mama. Now that they are all inside, she's all quiet and snuggled with them. And no fever. Phew!

#11 ·
So glad everything's ok, the voice to text mistake made my day!

My goats all have very little discharge the 5-7 days after kidding. After that they seem to empty out in the next 10 days or so.
That was pretty funny!

That's so good to know. You guys are all the best! She had an issue with her daughter and kept head-butting her and refusing to feed her but loving on her little boy as of last night and continuing through today. I thought maybe something was awry but her temp is normal, her udder is normal and when I took her girl out for a few minutes she stopped being loud and calmed right down. I brought her daughter back 2 minutes later and she started being loud and yelling again, head-butting her in an extremely forceful manner and shoving her into a tree. Little girl was so dazed but I ended up taking her to be with the three bottle babies and Mama chilled out again. I'm not sure what her issue is or was with her girl but all has returns to normal now. She seems to have good milk production, plenty for even three kids and no issues. So weird that some does will just keep one and reject the other. The universe is definitely keeping me on my toes my first kidding season.

#12 ·
Ugh. You just can’t catch a break! I will say if they reject one it’s almost always a female.
A fellow breeder has a doe that he says can only count to 1. She has twins or triplets every year but she’ll only raise one of them.
I have a doe that has triplets every year. If I pull a kid she’ll reject the other 2. Every time. It’s all or none with her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.