The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure I saw somewhere here on TGS that pour-on Ivermectin is effective for killing lice on goats. I recently noticed some lice (I think) on Mika and Suki, who have been kept in our smaller goat yard throughout most of their pregnancies to keep their unborn babies safe from Hasi the Bossy, who is a jerk and likes to headbutt pretty hard sometimes. And I guess being in a smaller area they were more susceptible to developing a parasite problem - Hasi and Murphy the buck are in the big pasture and I can’t find a single louse on either of them.

Anyway, I digress. My question is about Ivermectin. I tried some less poisonous things first - a sulfur block that I don’t think they’ve touched at all, and VetRX down their backs. The VetRX might have helped a bit. It’s hard to say for sure. But they definitely still have some lice. So I found some pour-on Ivermectin at the local TSC and glanced at the labels. Both the ones I looked at warned against use in dairy animals, which concerns me. Is there a specific variety I should be looking for? The ones I found were labeled for beef cattle and said animals shouldn’t be butchered within 48 days of use, and then said they hadn’t been tested for milk withdrawal time and shouldn’t be used in dairy animals.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
I would move the bully to her own area, you don’t want her to kill unborn kids or abort the doe.

I do use it with success.

Overcrowding and dirty pens can get parasite issues.
Ivomec pouron can be used if they are at least 90 days preform, the best time frame is 1 month prior to kidding. I use the blue liquid one. Cattle one is best.

If you drink the milk yes, withdrawal period.
If you are going to butcher, then yes withdrawal period.
For any kids nursing, it does no harm.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - the bully has been in the big pasture with the buck, and the preggy does have been in the goat yard. That’s exactly what I was worried about, so I separated them around the beginning of their pregnancies.

The preggy does have both kidded now. Beautiful healthy kids - I’m super happy with them!

But I digress again. I’m concerned about the Ivermectin I found because it didn’t list a milk withdrawal time (these are dairy does) and actually said not to use it in dairy animals because effects on milk hadn’t been tested, or something to that effect. I’m wondering if there are different varieties, or maybe I just need a different brand?

Does anyone with dairy does use a pour-on Ivermectin? Or what have you used instead for lice? I have a fly spray that’s labeled for use in horses and dogs. Ultra Shield Ex. It contains Permethrin, Pyrethrins, and Piperonyl Butoxide. It’s worked great for my horse, who has an allergy to biting gnats and has to be sprayed every morning in the summertime to prevent him from rubbing himself raw from excessive scratching of the gnat bites.

It says it kills and repels lice on dogs, so I’m thinking maybe that would be okay to try, but as it’s only labeled for dogs and horses I’m a little hesitant.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.