Question about problem with teat

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by CHICKENHEAD, Mar 25, 2010.

1. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I have a older Nubian Doe I just purchased to provide milk for my nigi kids. I have noticed at first her milk was not coming out easily of her teat. I could feel something hard so I tried to clean it real hard and it was like a scab on the end. Not like a plug but more like a scab. I picked it off and she milks a lot easier now. The other teat is still like that and has a sort of scab on the opening to where just a very small stream comes out. What can I do to prevent this and what can I do to clean it to where it is normal and not cause any damage to her teat

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well they do plug up like that so no bacteria gets in and causes mastitis.

3. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Ok so is it ok to puck the plug out of the orfice? Ive been milking her with the plug in her orfices on both teats and when I remove it is like 10x easier and it is a nice steady stream.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes remove the plug -- it will plug back up again.

Unless you are drawing blood by pealing it off then there is no harm done to the doe :)

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    also , invest in teat dip or some other anti bacterial spray to keep mastitis at bay, if she is not directly nursing kids it'll keep infection at bay until it plugs again

6. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
  7. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I put betadine in a pill bottle (that the teat will fit into) dip the teat in it after milking and wipe off the excess betadine.
    Nice thing about the pill bottles is that most of them close securely and the betadine can be saved. The down side of
    the betadine is that it will stain your hands and clothes. I think my goats ultimate goal is to make me spill it on myself and I have.
    Suellen

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I just use antibacterial wipes with aloe. Quick wipe and its done. I use a second wipe after milking is completed. Each teat gets it own start and finish wipe as to not spread bacteria that may be present.