Question about questionable floor - bedding.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Special ed, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Greetings everyone Newbie here :cool:

My wife and i purchased a small farm that at one time had horses and goats. The floor in our barn was covered in straw and appears to be dirt underneath. However we have noticed that after raking the straw the floor is uneven and some places comes up in sheets.

Now the top looks fine it doesn't feel soft and does appear to have a layer of dirt but we think this might just be tightly compacted hay-straw from the previous tenants and was wondering if this could be a problem for our new herd?

Currently there are no offending odors in the barn but we are thinking that if we were to scrape up the compacted straw we might put something bad in the air that could get the goats sick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave: Glad to have you here

As to your barn question -- I would remove any old bedding till you get down to good clean dirt. You want to start off fresh.

3. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for the speedy response!

That was our first thought but the concearn we have now is once we lift up the old stuff can it release something into the air we don't want them breathing. :ponder:

Guess we will get an early start this weekend put the kids out and get it cleaned up while they are out grazing this way it gives the dust time to settle before them come in for the night.

Thanks

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah thats what I would do

spread either Sweet PDZ or Lyme on the floor before putting any new bedding down

5. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I agree. Remove all of the old bedding. It may be a chore, but you'll want it all out until you get to the orginal floor. We've used Tomlyn Trifectant Disinfectant in our horse barns after treating sick horses or before bringing mares in to foal. It's alittle pricey, but kills more than a bleach mixture. Alittle goes a long way. You can order it from about any farm supply place.

6. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. Well i got some time before this weekend so i will check out what our farmstore has.

Great advice :kidred:

7. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I also agree with the others. It'll sure make it easier for you to clean the barn in the future also if you can get rid of the old stuff now.
    Good luck & welcome to the forum :)