The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't currently have any registered goats in my group. I have the opportunity to purchase a Nubian buckling that "can be registered". Can anyone explain what all it would entail to get him registered? I also need someone to educate me on how I go about being able to register the kids I have in the future? Do I need a registered doe and registered buck? Also, what are the costs like? Thank you for all your help!!:D

They are asking $225 for the buckling that "can be registered". Is this a decent price?

·
Registered
71 Posts
We bought a registered American Nubian buck last fall for $150; but I have seen bucks go for $350 to $400 depending on color and lineage. How to register and costs can be found on the American Dairy Goat Association Web Site. It cost $16.50 to register bucklings for members and a little more for non-members, older bucks cost a little more. To register babies you need a registered buck and doe. If only one is then they can be 1/2 registered, the offspring of that & a purebred is 3/4 registered, and the 3rd generation is American Nubian. Registered Nubians are great for show or if you are going to breed, but grade animals milk just as well. It depends on what you want to do. We have 1 registered doe and 1 grade doe, a registered buck and 4 new babies. My daughter shows the does in 4H.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
ADGA allows you to "breed up", go to their websitehttp://www.adga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=909&Itemid=131 and research their info. If your does resemble a particular breed (alpine, saanen, etc) you can register them as NOA (native on appearance), you have to get a member to sign for you. Then you can use your registered buck to "upgrade" the offspring. It's a little confusing at first. But, get the "handbook" and it explains it better.

·
1,524 Posts
Price varies from area to area, genetics, color, demand, and parents production. If this buck has what you need to better your herd, then the price is fine. If he does not have what your herd needs, then it is too much to pay.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
First and foremost, MAKE SURE THAT HE CAN REALLY BE REGISTERED!!! Lots of people say that they "can"-but the can't. So that should be #1.

#2, that's a bit expensive in my opinion, but not really. If he's the only one, get him if you want him.

#3, getting them registered means that you can: register his kids, get papers, show him and his kids, and he and his kids will be worth more.

#4, to register his kids, you fill out a form, either online or a paper form, and sned it in (it's much cheaper to do this if you're a member), and you will recieve papers fro them to. You will be able to do all of the above with his kids.

#5, if you don't like him, don't get him. (I've found that going with my gut instinc works better-and learned it the hard way. :rolleyes:)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It's nice that adga allows the 1/2 and 3/4 registration, but they will not do that for nigerians, i dont think that is fair especially when i've had the same lineage in my grade nigerians for 4 generations.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I am going to go ahead and get him at the end of June. He is a very handsome buckling and I think he will add great value to my herd!! Stay tuned :)

·
1,524 Posts
I paid 500.00 for my Nubian buck before he was born. His breeder paid 5000.00 for his sire before his mother was even bred plus his plane fare and crate costs. My Lamancha buckling costs me 300.00 at birth.

225.00 for a nice buck is not that expensive if its what you need to better your herd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts