Question about selling wethers.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Jan 19, 2011.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok Ive been wondering about this and want some honest opinions on what you all would do. Ok I have some people lined up wanting wethers when my does start kidding. The one guy wants a bottle baby so I usually keep them for the first two to three weeks and then sell them after they are disbudded and stuff. Ok here is my question. Would you band a baby this young before he leaves. This person said he would do it later but would you trust someone to do that. Cause I only sell my wethers for $50 what if he takes it home doesnt band it then he has a buck for $50. I know it wouldnt have papers but still I dont want to sell something as a pet and then they use it as a breeder. Cause there is a reason that Im wethering it to begin with. I dont send many bucks off my farm. I think out of all the kids last year one went out of here as a buck. So what do you all think, hope I made sense.

2. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I personally don't sell a wether unless he's been wethered by me or my vet, too much of a risk of the person not following through with castration. I don't sell bottle babies so I'm not sure what would be best in your situation but I'm sure someone will chime in with some great advice!

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Too many stories of people not getting the banding done when the time came... like "I didn't have the heart" or "We didn't know how" etc. etc. etc. even with options of bringing the goat back to the farm to have it done!! I just wouldn't chance it.

But maybe you could do $100 ($50 for the goat & a $50 deposit when they bring it back to get castrated)...just an idea. :shrug:

4. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't trust the guy to do it. I would definitely do it myself.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does he live close enough that you could go over and do it yourself? Maybe say part of the deal is that you come over and band them. I wouldn't band a male too early.

6. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes he does but when I mentioned him bringing him back he didn't want to. He said he knew how to do it and would do it himself. I think he just won't get him till later. Would six weeks be to early. I usually do them 8-12 weeks.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Some need to be done early so I've done 6-8 weeks of age for banding so yeah you could do that.

8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks everyone, this has been bugging me so but I feel better about it now. I will probably just tell him that I have to hold onto them untill they are six weeks. Cause I dont want it to leave my farm an intact buck. Thanks again for all the help.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You could learn to castrate by cutting? You can do that much earlier than banding, nearly at birth.