Question about Stud Service

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by cjpup, Jan 1, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Im thinking about putting my boys up for stud but I have a few questions:
    1. How much should I charge for the service alone? THey are nonregistered pygmy goats but are all within the heigth requirement set by the NPGA.

2. Do you charge seperate for board if you must keep the doe for a few days? If so, how much?

3. How do you make sure you arent bringing in a doe with a sickness/disease?

4. How do you protect your herd from anything the doe may bring in?

THANKS!
    CJ

2. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Have you had a chance to search the site about this? We had a long discussion about this, but I can't remember who it was. I'll see what I can find.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
  5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Personally i only stud my buck out to does that have been tested. As i spend the time energy and money to test and maintain a clean herd every year. Why should i have to siffer the cost of contracting something. I don't lease my bucks out either. Even to close friends. I had a friend that wanted me to lease her my buck, she is an hour away and i said no. The doe that she wanted to breed to him was clean but there were other animals in her herd that arn't and personally my seven hundred dollar buck before flying him here is just too much for me to waste.
    If your buck is unregistered i would only charge $25 dollars per soe, or if they bring multiple does make them a deal, $25 for the first and $20 each aditional doe. I don't know how pygmy registrations work. But with dairy goats you can;t show them at ADGA shoes unless they are registered.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the height issue won't help or hinder you at all since they are not registered.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do believe it was me that had the "long" discussion on stud service.( NOT THE THREAD QUOTED TO YOU.) Any how, the fee I charged was $50.00 for both does and they were UTD on shots and wormings as well as given the once over by me. They stayed out of my little herd except for being with my registered buck for a week, the lady was also generous to the point of paying me double what I charged because they were here for 3 weeks, this covered additional feed and hay as well as any vet attention that may have been needed. I felt "safe" enough with their health to keep them and since I don't do any testing just the normal upkeep of my kids I didn't feel comfortable charging her more than the $25.00 each for stud. Like I said, she was generous in doubling my payment to keep them "for as long as it took" to get the job done. Also, the fact that I won't know what Chief throws until Bootsie kids in February, or hoping that Binky kids in the next 2 weeks. This is something that ONLY you can decide for yourself, all the generous advice and opinions I got from all here that posted really helped me make my decision. Also, I would not charge as much for my un- registered pygmy buck for stud if he was wanted, he has proven himself with 26 kids that all turned out beautiful but because he is not registered his stud fee would be $15.00 with an additional $1.00 per day for each doe here beyond 1 week. I did have proof of shots as well as vet certificate because her little does are "therapy" goats for a convalescent home, which really touched me. :) Good luck with your decision.

8. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I figured that.......if you want to know the truth, I had just measured all my boys and was excited to find they were within heigt requirement..........I felt like bragging. LOL! :oops: :lol:

THe biggest part I am worried about is the disease thing. Im not sure I could "force" people to test all their does for a $15 stud service. Does that make sense? Also, I woldnt want my whole herd affected.

Thank You for that link, I dont have time to read through it all right now (Have to go to the feed store for more milk replacer) but when I get back, Ill definanaly read it.

THANKS!
    CJ

9. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    If someone wants to breed to your buck, then you should just have the rules be clear: if they want to breed to him, there is a fee, and he will not be breeding untested does. You are not forcing them to test; if they don't want to do it, they don't have to breed to him. That is what I would do.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is fun to brag. :D

I was going to say more then I realized I had to leave for work.

As for testing: that is totaly up to you but for unregistered you have to decide what you want the does be to tested free from and if you don't test your does then why expect others to do what you dont? Now if you do test yours that is another story.

What you can do is ask to see the does before they enter your property. Either visit their place OR do a quick check on them as they are unloaded. Check for clear eyes, no snotty noses and over good coat and if their weight is good. Of course this would need to be told to the owner ahead of time so they don't think you are "frisking" their goat. LOL

You can ask to see a record of wormings and require them to have been wormed 3 weeks prior to coming to be serviced.

I would have a separate pen set up just for the does coming to be serviced. That way you aren't running them with your herd.

I wouldn't charge more then 15.00 per doe - but you should charge a boarding fee per day for feed and hay costs.