Question About Treats.....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Aug 15, 2009.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I was at TSC yesterday picking up some wormer, and they had some bags of horse treats there. I think they had carrot, apple, and some other kind and I think they were supposed to have actual shreds of the fruit in them.... Anyways they looked like little dog biscuits sort of... I figure they would be fine for goats if they are ok for horses, but wanted to ask to be sure. Is there any specific ingredients that I need to make sure they DON'T have in them before buying them for the goats? I have always given animal crackers as a treat, but thought something like this might be a little "better" health wise for the goats :shrug: I am open to any thoughts or suggestions :wink:

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We give ours horse treats... Some times they wont eat a certian kind tho so buy small then go big just in case.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Mine love the dumor horse treats at TSC. I just buy any bag of horse treats.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine too Ashley....the purple bag right?, they love the oatmeal and raisin cookies!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally WILL NOT give my goats horse treats.... I used to - I had the peppermint ones and the goats LOVED them. However they are very hard and joe Dirt died from ating one from an esophogical tear. Now that could have been just a fluke - but I don't trust it - so no more horse treats for them - and on my horses I went down to the small ones instead of the "wafer" ones that were like 1 inch x 1 inch x 1/4 inch.

Just my opinion and what I had to learn the hard way.

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

Allison- Do they make soft treats or are they all hard?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They are all pretty much like cookies Brandi...the ones I get are shaped like a 3 petaled flower that can be broken in pieces...which most times, they just chomp them whole with no problems as they just crumble up.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The only treats my girls get is the wrappings off corn. Even then some dont know what it is, some will rip it out of someone elses mouth and some will just stand back. Goofy goats.
    Two (mother & daughter) go wild for banana peels, even half a whole banana still in skin.

9. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Animal cookies! :leap: Goats luv' em :love: and there ain't anything in them that is bad for a goat! :stars: And they are cheap! :applaud: My goats get down right rude and knock me down and steal the whole bag :wahoo: and would starve and not eat goat kibble if there is even a remote chance of thinking there might be animal cookies available!! :slapfloor:

10. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks Liz!! I will look the next time I go to TSC and might try a small bag! :wink:

I have never tried the banana peels... never even thought about it actually!! :scratch:

sealawyer- That is what I normally use and mine LOVE them too!! :hi5: I guess the main thing I was wandering is if the horse treats would be nutritionally better for them?? :shrug: :scratch:

11. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Brandi, Fom the look of all of the chubbikins you have I would say that you are meeting their nutritional needs admirably! :ROFL:

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My boys love, love, love the specific goat treats that my TSC carries.....they are licorice flavor.....and raisens also :greengrin: !

13. I give raisins as treats and most of the goats love them! A little handful goes a long way :)

14. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    We give salty treats at shows that make them drink water and fill udders. Salted corn chips and salted whole peanuts. Goats will eats the peanut shells too. Raisins are also good and our goats go really crazy for vanilla wafers. Would eat the whole box if you would let them!

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I really doubt that there is much "nutritionally" in the horse treats - but goat treats are a bit softer, they break down easier, and are real small.

When I go out to the pasture where my 6 standards are right now - I stop and pick up a bag of teady graham crackers :wink:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine also like cheerios.....I don't care for them personally BUT will buy a cheap box at the dollar store for them :greengrin:

Mine enjoy banana's too, most times though they'll squish the fruit out one end while eating the peel...and then they won't eat the nanner!

17. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I give them banana peels but I make sure they are organic . A lot pesticides on the normal peels. They just love them!

18. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Mine will eat just about anything.

Unless it falls on the ground.

:roll:

19. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone!!! This is helping me out ALOT!! Trust me... I am make a list of ALL these ideas... LOL!

LOL! Thanks (don't worry... I won't tell them you said they were chubby :ROFL: )! Yes, they are getting rolly polly on me... I have cut there feed back ALOT. Trying not to get them overweight too bad! :wink:

I was at TSC today (I swear I practically LIVE at that place... could stay there all day if you let me) and I was VERY surprised!!! They have gotten in ALOT of stuff for goats!! Normally they don't carry ANYTHING specifically for goats at the TSC we have here... but now they have the Dumor goat feed (which I am gonna stick with the feed mixture I am giving right now cause it seems to work really well :wink: ), 2 different mineral BLOCKS SPECIFICLY for goats, goat minerals, udder balms, milk replacers, GOAT TREATS, and all sorts of other good stuff!!!! (needless to say... my sis had to drag me out of the store :roll: ) So now I have TONS more questions (I know you are all SO EXCITED!!! lol).... Ok... Here are links to the products they have (atleast the ones I can remember). Have any of you used any of these before? Which ones do you like or not like? And the treats they have there are pelletized... have you ever used those kind?

Minerals
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/ ... ed-2221296

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... &area=goat

Goat Treats
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... D%20treats

Goat Balancer (Manna Pro)
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... 20balancer

Some of the links are for Jeffers website... They have them on the TSC website as well, but Jeffers gives a more detailed description :wink: All of the items listed above are now available at my local TSC!! :leap: :wahoo:

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm jealous! Your TSC carries way more goat type stuff than mine! Especially by Manna Pro

I have used the Dumor Goat block....it's soft so you must keep it inside where it won't br ruined by rain. What I did with this was just pulverized it so that I could put it in the loose mineral feeder. The goat mineral would be good for your boys because of the added ammonium chloride :wink:

DO NOT get the one labeled for sheep and goats as there is not enough copper in it.

The treats would be good, I know a few who use them with their goats.